PDA

View Full Version : 10ML/10ML-II: Shipping requirement 10ml ll to Wisconsin

snowin
05-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Found a thumbhole stainless 1oml ll in Canada but I need to find prof that we don't need the ffl for muzzleloaders in Wisconsin to ship it. Any one know how I may get such a document or where to find one? I asked the dealers in my area everyone seems to know the law but have nothing in writing or where to find it. Wish I could have found one in the US but they must be all gone. Bought one of the new blued in camo but really wanted the thumbhole stainless.

Thanks

rossman40
05-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Under the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, antique firearms and replicas are largely exempted from the restrictions on firearms. Antique firearms are defined as: any firearm with a frame or receiver manufactured in or before 1898 regardless of ignition system, or any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system, and any replica of an antique firearm if the replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire ammunition, or uses fixed ammunition, which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels or commercial trade, any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. (Note: Antique firearms exemptions vary considerably under state laws.)

The actual Federal law is in 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 and 27 CFR Part 478

Basically a "antique firearm" is not a firearm in the eyes of the Feds.

If you want to sort thru it this is a good reference,

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

You can call your local ATF office but I have found getting them to put something in writing is tough. They will give you references though.

Another problem is coming from Canada, import/export restrictions may apply.