PDA

View Full Version : Did all the staggered-feed magazines quit working ?

Hammer
05-01-2011, 12:14 PM

When Savage introduced the straightline-feed magazines...

Did the fifty years of staggered-feed magazines quit working ?

Or would you still trust one of those old-fashioned staggered-feed magazines on an important hunt, like for Wyoming elk, Alaskan bear, African plains game, or charging bull prairie dogs ?

z71rat
05-01-2011, 12:33 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a staggered feed magazine setup. They still work like a charm.

DK

82boy
05-01-2011, 01:20 PM
One time, I got mulled by a pack of charging bull prairie dogs, and a rabid Lebanese squirrel, when my staggered feed magazine jambed up, after taking fire on a miniature humming groundhog. People warned me that I should never have chambered the rifle in AI 22/300 weatherby wright hoyer super ultra magnum, and how that round just doesn't work in a staggered feed, but dang it, I am hard headed. It is because of this horrible day, that I only shoot single shot guns.

O' buy the way do you know why the Miniature ground hog was humming?

Because he did not know the words. :)

ellobo
05-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I have nothing but stagger feed Savages and have had no problem with them at all. BUT, if I was hunting big dangerous game I would prefer a Mauser type action with a big claw extractor like the Mausers. As much as I like my Savages my favorite rifle is a custom built on an FN commercial mauser action.

El Lobo

helotaxi
05-01-2011, 05:47 PM
My two stagger feeds are smoother than my two centerfeeds.

For dangerous game, controlled feed is the way to go.

CJ in WY
05-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Did the fifty years of staggered-feed magazines quit working ?

Naw= The profit margins on parts was slipping!!! New and improved economics...

GaCop
05-02-2011, 07:33 AM
The centerfeed magazine eliminated a machining step on the receiver saving money on manufacturing steps and speeding up production.

jonbearman
05-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Yea and way eaier to change than fighting with the mag to get it out of my reciever.Getting it in is easy ,but getting it out,I would rather watch paint dry.LOL

sew0177
05-02-2011, 10:30 AM
All of my Savages are SF and I have not had any problems with them at all. Now, that being said, I have not had the chance to try a new CF yet. To be honest, I will probably stay with the SF and 4.2 bolt spacing until more stocks are available for 4.4 and/or CF.

efm77
05-02-2011, 02:01 PM
My centerfeed actually does cycle smoother and is easier to load than my stagger feed.

5spd
05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
I have both the SF & CF bolt guns and have zero issues feeding/loading or otherwise.

JCalhoun
05-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Hammer;

Jim told me that the real reason they changed magazines was due to the fact that the newer style works a lot better on the new bolt action double rifles they are going to offer for use on dangerous rodentia such as the Norway rats and infamous nutria in the Southern wetlands. ;)