PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 12 VLP DBM 22-250 shooting 4 foot high at 20 yards **UPDATE**

Pages : 1 [2]

Ramdiesel
07-30-2011, 03:10 AM
Got the rifle back. Had it awhile just been busy. Don't really say in the paper work what they did. But she sure shoots. I had an old 8x32nightforce just laying around thought i would put it on there. lol I shot 50,55,60gr v-max in it.
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac161/Zx-14guy/CIMG0115.jpg
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac161/Zx-14guy/CIMG0118.jpg
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac161/Zx-14guy/CIMG0121.jpg
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac161/Zx-14guy/CIMG0120.jpg

KAZ
07-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Thats more like it 8) I have a M12 LRVP DBM in 223 on the UPS truck right now, and have been following this thread, Regsards

jdhord
07-30-2011, 11:47 AM
According to your paperwork it looks like they replaced the barrel, same thing they had to do to mine.

Harriershot
07-30-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't mean to knock what you are doing with your scope when you use shim's but here are my concerns.
When you create an uneven bed for your scope (shimming bases or rings) there is the likelyhood that you are putting a damaging stress on the scope tube and it's internals. Just simply go to Burris signature rings and use the different thickness posi-align inserts to accomplish your sight in needs.
Don't fight the new technology, I believe signature rings are the only way to mount a scope.

Charlie

davemuzz
07-30-2011, 01:41 PM
I believe signature rings are the only way to mount a scope.

Charlie

FWIW....and my expert opinion and $1.25 will get you a small coffee at the corner gas station....but I agree with Charlie 100%. I use the signature rings on all my scope mounts...even the ones that line up perfectly. No fuss...no muss...and no scope ring marks on the tube. Also...no rings to sand or polish out to perfection.

Dave

thomae
07-30-2011, 04:38 PM
I believe signature rings are the only way to mount a scope.

Charlie

FWIW....and my expert opinion and $1.25 will get you a small coffee at the corner gas station....but I agree with Charlie 100%. I use the signature rings on all my scope mounts...even the ones that line up perfectly. No fuss...no muss...and no scope ring marks on the tube. Also...no rings to sand or polish out to perfection.

Dave

I also agree. Won't say anything bad about other methods, but the Burris pos-align inserts work for me. Never had any problems with Burris Signature Zee rings.

rcinit
07-30-2011, 05:16 PM
When you create an uneven bed for your scope (shimming bases or rings) there is the likelyhood that you are putting a damaging stress on the scope tube and it's internals. Charlie
Thats why I lap my rings before I remount the scope after figuring out how many shims it should take. I can't tell you how many times I've asked people if they have or have had the rings lapped before mounting the scope on a rifle. I normally get a blank stare and then the question, "whats lapping the rings for?" I do have a couple sets of the burris signature Zee rings. They are very nice and if you don't have the equipment, know how, or desire to lap your rings then by all means use the Signature Zee rings. However they do not always get me what I want. That is to put the cross hairs in the optical center of the glass.

BigTim
08-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Hello all, new to forum but am enjoying it very much and looking forward to barrel swaps without the big expense. Another budget method instead of lapping rings especially after shimming on two piece bases is to use devcon on the bottom half of the rings and release agent on the scope, loosely screw down the top half of the ring and let set up. Next day tighten the screws on your home made offset inserts and start burning powder! Same method can be used to bed a one piece base after shiming with great results.

leadzinger
08-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Hello all, new to forum but am enjoying it very much and looking forward to barrel swaps without the big expense. Another budget method instead of lapping rings especially after shimming on two piece bases is to use devcon on the bottom half of the rings and release agent on the scope, loosely screw down the top half of the ring and let set up. Next day tighten the screws on your home made offset inserts and start burning powder! Same method can be used to bed a one piece base after shiming with great results.

A little Devcon underneath the base/bases always helps too.