PDA

View Full Version : Turning small shank to large

Pages : [1] 2

VjjR
04-28-2011, 01:47 PM
What gunsmiths perform the tasks of turning a small shank action into a large one? How much does it cost?

jglover_81
04-28-2011, 01:57 PM
I looked into this a couple of months ago and was strongly advised against it!! I went another direction

KRP
04-28-2011, 04:34 PM
I looked into this a couple of months ago and was strongly advised against it!! I went another direction

Why were you advised against it?

jonbearman
04-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Because you would have to remove metal for the larger barrel thread I would think and it would greatly weaken the reciever ring making it very dangerous.

Varget 7-08
04-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Because you would have to remove metal for the larger barrel thread I would think and it would greatly weaken the reciever ring making it very dangerous.

This. Have you checked out NSS? He has pretty reasonable prices for new Savage barrels

VjjR
04-28-2011, 05:46 PM

It would be the same as a factory large shank

jglover_81
04-28-2011, 06:14 PM
I talked to sinman and he said that he and sharpshooter both agree its a bad idea so I gave up and got a small shank barrel

KRP
04-28-2011, 06:23 PM
I talked to sinman and he said that he and sharpshooter both agree its a bad idea so I gave up and got a small shank barrel

Okay, but why do they think it's a bad idea?

So Target/WSM/RUM actions are dangerous?

tammons
04-28-2011, 06:32 PM
The large shank actions could be made from a higher grade of steel.

thirty06
04-28-2011, 06:50 PM
I would think re cutting the threads after it was heat-treated could put stress on the action and weaken it.
It's my understanding they heat-treat the actions at the factory after they cut the threads.

VjjR
04-28-2011, 07:45 PM
I would think re cutting the threads after it was heat-treated could put stress on the action and weaken it.
It's my understanding they heat-treat the actions at the factory after they cut the threads.

It is no different of a process of truing a remington action

jglover_81
04-28-2011, 07:56 PM

This was my assumption.... I respected both sinman and sharpshooters expertise enough that I didn't ask any more questions.... maybe one of them will post and explain why its not recommended

BoilerUP
04-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Why not simply trade your small-shank action for a large-shank action?

Even if you have to throw a few bucks in for a deal, you should be out less $$$ overall and have a dedicated action with no questions.

May I ask what benefit you see in a large shank vs. small shank action?

358Hammer
04-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Though I aM NOT SAYING don't OR GO DO IT!

I currently have two that have been opened up to large shank. In fact a third and it is a target action has been opened up to larger than a typical large shank. My First Edge use to be a small shank Striker.

The advice could very easily be that one may think the hardness has been machined away when cutting the .030 away and re-threading the action. I honestly never punched a thread to check hardness. Nitriding does take care of that though.

Neal

VjjR
04-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Why not simply trade your small-shank action for a large-shank action?

There isn't too many large shanks available.

May I ask what benefit you see in a large shank vs. small shank action?

I have 3 Large shank barrels and only one large shank action

VjjR
04-28-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm am not concerned whatsoever of having a weaker action, I honestly do not believe this is a factor. It is a process done on a daily basis to Remington actions. I am looking for gunsmiths that perform the process. If I had a running lathe I would do it myself.

sharpshooter
04-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Buy a large shank target action or turn the barrels down.

jeepmann1
04-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Can the large Shank Barrels be turned down to small Shank ?

358Hammer
04-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Centershotrifles.com use to do the enlargement process.

My wifes hunting handgun has a turned down 300 RUM barrel to small shank. Several hundred rounds have been down that bore now without issue. I think it much easier and economical to turn down a barrel.

Neal

ESSCEE
04-29-2011, 11:48 AM
vjjr I have a small shank at S&S Sporting aka savage gunsmithing http://www.savagegunsmithing.com I asked several smiths to stretch the mag and open the feed slot to make a repeating EDGE he is the only one that said he could or would do it he also said when I get it back it will be a large shank. I know for sure that Scott does do it however I don't know how much he would charge. He is easy to talk too and usually answers his own phone.