PDA

View Full Version : Turning small shank to large

Pages : 1 [2]

VjjR
04-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Thank you everyone for all your input, Unfortunately turning down 3 barrels would not be very economical either...

sinman
04-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Turning down a barrel would run about $40, turning down 3 barrels about $120, being able to buy a used or new prefits that fit 95% of Savages priceless

efm77
04-29-2011, 04:47 PM
I have had Center Shot Rifles open up two long actions of mine to large shank. I don't think it compromises the strength whatsoever. Some people say you're taking metal away from the receiver so it's not as strong. You are taking metal away but it's still there, just in the barrel instead of the receiver so there's still just as much steel there taking the pressure as before. Where I like the large shank is for the part that's exposed in front of the receiver. I know the RUMS and WSMS work in the small shanks too, I just prefer them and even belted mags for that matter with the larger shank. Just makes me feel better. The barrel is taking probably 99% of the pressure around the chamber so I doubt it has much effect on the receiver ring but I could be wrong. Of course it would still blow with a severe overload. My point is that the receiver takes the most force where the locking lugs go against the lug abutments and you're not changing anything there. As someone else said, when an action is trued/blueprinted metal is taken away too. The threads are re-cut then too and the locking lugs/abutments are lapped. I don't know the entire process but I can't imagine that it cuts in deep enough to get past the heat treatment. I haven't had a bit of trouble with mine and would do it all over again because I like having the extra chamber thickness on the part that's outside the receiver where it doesn't get the extra support of the receiver ring. That's where I'd be worried about a small shank letting go, although I've never heard of it happening. Someone else asked why not just trade it for a large shank action. Because you might want a long action to be large shank and all current large shank actions are short actions and long action RUM actions are hard to find.