PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a ?

goatboy
04-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Hello all. This is my first post even though I have been lurking for some time. I have a couple Savage rifles and am in the process of acquiring a model 111 (pre accu trigger) in 30-06 from a coworker. My plans are to pull the stock and replace it with a manners mcs-t or mcs-t2, replace the trigger with a timney and do a barrel swap via McGowen. I would like to change calibers and go with a 7mm SAUM but don't know if that caliber can be had with a small shank. Would this be possible and if so what else would I need. I know that a mag bolt face would be in order and possibly a linger firing pin mec. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

bootsmcguire
04-28-2011, 01:22 AM
I don't know why you couldn't do a SAUM on a Small Shank. People have done RUM,WSM, STW, and the like on small shanks before so I can't see a problem with the SAUM. Maybe someone will chime in and back me up or correct me on this, which ever the case may be.

goatboy
04-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Well, I have been e-mailing Dan Wynne at McGowen and he verified that the 7mm SAUM could be had on a small shank. Now I have to find out what else I will need for the bolt. So far, I think I will only need a Mag bolt head and the ejector/extractor from the original. Is this correct or am I missing something?

bootsmcguire
04-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Pretty much as long as the head you are switching has the same size firing pin. You may have to do some tweaking on your mag lips but you won't know till you try on that one.

goatboy
04-28-2011, 10:36 PM
That's what I was hoping. I have heard that they used a larger diameter firing pin on some but I don't think it will be an issue with this particular rifle. As far as the magazine, all I know right now is that it is a detachable mag. Not sure if its stagger or center feed but I will be going to a blind mag when I order the stock so I will probably just order new parts when the time comes. The main use for the rifle will be hunting with plenty of practice in between. Thanks for the help.

bobdds
05-18-2011, 11:53 AM
You might consider adding the CDI Precision bottom metal to that manners composite stock. its 209$ delivered and you can use the accuracy international magazines. I have even put that metal on a Bell and Carlson and a Stockade stock. Eliminating the blind magazine. Not sure however if the magazines are available for the mag cases. I would also add, since you asked that a Sharpshooter Supply trigger gets my vote for predictability and adjustablity..

goatboy
05-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have already ordered the stock. Ended up going with the MCS-T3 inleted for the factory detachable mag and have a a timney replacement trigger on hand. Also ordered a 25" CBI varmint contour in 280 rem(decided to keep it simple). I plan on duracoating the barreled action black and the stock 3 or 4 color flectarn. I just mounted a 4-16x50 Viper PST SFP MOA on another 280 and love it so I will probably be ordering another very soon.