PDA

View Full Version : Stevens M200 270 to 223 Conversion

GaryT
04-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Hey guys,
Tonight I came across a Stevens Model 200 (new) at an out of town Academy Sports (4 hours away, but it just so happens I'm going that direction tomorrow)for only $180. ;D They only have 270 Win in stock. It's unlikely any other calibers will be available. I'm considering buying one to convert to 223 Rem. I don't intend to make a switch barrel gun. The gun will be used as a backup/guest gun for prairie dog hunts. From what I've read tonight, I think the only things I'll need are: 223 bolt face, 223 barrel and possibly a single shot benchrest magazine follower. I'm thinking about a barrel contour that's slightly heavier than the factory barrel. If so, will I need a new stock or can the factory stock be opened up some? If I decide to tackle the barrel installation myself, I'll obviously need the additional tools that come w/ the barrel changing kits sold by Brownell's, EABCO and possibly others, as well. I see where ER Shaw and EABCO will also install barrels for a fee. Am I missing anything here? ???

Your advice is appreciated as I'll have to either make a move on this or pass on it tomorrow.

Thanks.

GaCop
04-28-2011, 07:15 AM
My 223 Rem and 223 Ackley are built on long actions. The best single shot follower (and only follower made for centerfeed) is Sharp Shooter Supply's. They are a site sponsor. Fred's follower snaps into the action slot and feeds rounds smoothly. The centerfeed magazine is no longer needed. Fred at SSS also makes a great 223 bolt head and extended baffle that shortens the bolt throw when using the shorter cartridge in the long action. He also installs a PPC extractor to aid in case extraction. The cheap factory stock can be reworked for use with a heavy barrel but it's a lot of work. If your a carpenter and have the tools, it's doable. A stock that will get you going cheaply is the Bell and Carlson Duramaxx. It's set up for larger diameter varmint barrels. If you go with a barrel much over .825" at the muzzle, you may have to open it up just a tad. A standard varmint barrel fits it just fine.

I would suggest becoming a paid member ($12/yr) so you can access the technical articles and the classifieds which can save you money in the long run. Your going to need barrel nut wrench and a decent machined/ground recoil lug (available through Sharp Shooter Supply, Midway USA or Brownells). Your 223 barrel is a small shank so that's the size recoil lug you'll need. The factory recoil lug is a stamped piece that is not very flat at all so replacing it during a barrel change eliminates one variable in the quest for accuracy. Being a first timer, I would suggest using headspace gauges for setting the headspace of the barrel when you screw it on. At the very least, you will need a GO gauge and it wouldn't hurt to have the NO GO gauge. The Duramaxx stock will require glass bedding and there are good tech articles here to talk you through it.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of installing it yourself, or spend the money for tools and gauges, You can use Shaw or E.A. Brown to install the barrel for you and you can do the stock work when you get it back, your choice. I would jump on the Stevens from Academy. I did back in January and built mine into a 6.5X47 Lapua bench rifle. If you care to, contact me at gacop103@gmail.com and we can talk more about your build.

GaCop
04-28-2011, 07:30 AM
To add; if you go with a medium weight sporter barrel, it should work with the factory stock with a little sanding in the channel. The factory stock has a lot of flex in the forearm that is not easy to eliminate. Check Numrich Gun Parts web site, you may be able to find a long action wood stock that will work much better.

GaryT
04-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks so much, GaCop. ;)That's the exact info I was looking for. Will buy the Stevens. :)
Will get more details from you later. :)

BoilerUP
04-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Numrich has long-action centerfeed 112 VLP stocks available...they are quite nice.

GaCop
04-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Numrich has long-action centerfeed 112 VLP stocks available...they are quite nice.

Yup, excellent stocks, I have one of the adjustable cheek piece models on my 223 Rem. The barrel channel is cut for a heavy weight barrel though.