PDA

View Full Version : multiple barrel changes.

lomfs24
04-26-2011, 02:42 PM
OK, so here's the plan. I want to get a new barrel, have a brake installed, probably a baffled style brake so it will need to be indexed, shoot it a few times and have it sent off to have a nitride finish.

So the question is, if you take a barrel off will it go back on to exactly the same place every time, provided it's going on the same receiver? If I have the brake indexed and then take the barrel off will the barrel and brake go back on in the exact same spot after the nitride finish? From what I understand, once you nitride the barrel the work on that particular barrel is done. They are too hard to machine later and re-index the brake.

Blue Avenger
04-26-2011, 09:00 PM
yes

rsbhunter
04-26-2011, 10:57 PM
+1 on what Blue Avenger said....i had the same concerns on a rem rifle, doing the exact same thing (nitriding) and was told that even on a conventional bbl, with shoulder, it would return to same spot.....rsbhunter

chestsprings
04-26-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm going to say "maybe". reason , I switch 3 barrels all the time, 223, 22-250, & Rem 6mm.

I use the tape method on the head space gauge, & after checking numerious times, I can't get the head space "exactually" the same each time.

I always have to tweak the scope setting.

If I remove one of the barrels, then put it right back on, I have always had to tweak the scope, some times maybe only a 1/2 inch to get it at the same as it was.

if the barrel is indexed ( witness mark) to the recv. taken off, then put back to the same index ( witness mark ), then probably, but I have not figured out how to "exactually" index the barrel using the nut. probably a way, but I haven't seen a method that works.

maybe some one who has succeeded in doing it can explain.

Blue Avenger
04-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Oh I can always put it in a slightly different spot if I want,oil, friction,, temp and many other thing cam play a part in .0001
OR ~ I can put it back exactly where it was and not be so paranoid about the gauge. It worked there fine before!

lomfs24
04-27-2011, 09:12 AM
OK, Blue. I can live with that. I was just thinking in my head how bad it would be to get a $450 barrel, spend another $150 to $200 to get a brake put on, another $100 or so in nitriding, only to have the brake at a slope when you got done.