PDA

View Full Version : Savage model numbers

DCM
04-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Savage has a lot of different models and when I look at them on their web site, they seem to be the same except for calibers offered and sometimes the type of magazine.

There must be a difference in them but I cannot figure out what it is. Can someone explain why they have so many instead of just combining all into short and long actions with options for all?

Thanks

helotaxi
04-26-2011, 06:56 PM
The differences are generally finish, barrel profile, magazine and stock type.

bootsmcguire
04-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Savage has basiclly divided up the types of rifles and given them their own series. 2 digit numbers are Short Actions and 3 digit numbers are long actions.

10/110 = Sporter (old designation, now 10/110 is designation for the Law Enforcement Series)
11/111 = Sporter (new designation)
12/112 = Varmint Series
14/114 = Classic Series (same as Sporter Series but High Luster Blue and Nicer Wood Stocks)
16/116 = Weather Warrior Series (SS Actions, barrels, and Synthetic Stocks)
25 & 40 = Lightweight Varmint Series (these are a totally different Action Setup)
Axis = Entry Sporter ( Different Action and Stocks, Sporter Style with DBM only)

I find this System Easier for me then the Remington or Winchester Systems. A Model 700 or 70 with a dozen different named series that seem to change every few years. I can't keep up and don't even try anymore.

All the letters after the Model # signify Stock, Barrel Profile, Muzzle Break, etc.

Example: 12FVSS = Model 12 Varmint Series, "F" = Syn. Stock "V"= Varmint Barrel "SS"= Stainless Steel Action and Barrel

groaner71
04-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Off the top of my head...

B - boyds stock
F - synthetic stock
C - detachable box mag
P - police
L - left hand model
V - bull/target barrel
S - stainless barrel
HS - HS stock

There are more, but this is a start

bootsmcguire
04-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Pulled the following from the 2011 Catalog on the Savage Website:

AK - Adjustable Muzzle Brake
B - Laminate Stock
BT - Laminated Thumbhole Stock
C - Clip (Detachable Box Magazine)
F - Synthetic Stock
G - Hardwood Stock
H - Hinged Floorplate
L - Left Hand
ML - Muzzleloader
NS - No Sights
P - Police
SS - Stainless Steel
T - (Rimfire) Peep Sights
V - Long-Range (Heavy Barrel)
XP - Package Gun
Y - Youth

thirty06
04-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Look in the FAQ section at top of page under Letter Codes, it's all there.

TonyBen
04-27-2011, 09:21 AM
I think this information should be merged with the letter code post in the FAQ. Until I read this, I didn't know what the difference was about the model numbers until I just read Boot's comment. I was just about to ask the question and found this post.

Tony.

DCM
04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies. They really helped and I have decided to change the model that I originally intended to buy.