PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Issues?

taylorce1
04-26-2011, 01:44 PM
I built a LR .243 Win on a Stevens CF action. If I load either the 105 A-Max or 107 MK to magazine length they don't feed from the magazine. The problem is as the bullet starts up out of the mag it is so long that the rear of the cartridge slips under the bolt face and the bolt then rides over the cartridge. If I seat the bullets down from 2.8" to 2.6" or less I don't have the feeding issues. I had this barrel throated for long bullets up to 115 grains. What can I do to get the rifle to feed reliably?

Thanks!

GaCop
04-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Your pretty much stuck with the length the magazine will reliably feed. I build single shot bench rifles so magazine problems are nonexistence for me. I don't like being hampered by mag box paramiters when working with long match bullets.

snowgetter1
04-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Get the single shot sled from SSS. It pops in and out easy then when you want remove it and use the mag. It is like a single shot magazine by itself.

thirty06
04-27-2011, 08:41 AM
If you have to have a magazine, put the barrel on a long action CF.

taylorce1
04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks, I really want to run from a magzine as this rifle is being built for a steel match. I was hoping there were some tweaks I could do to the mag to get it to feed longer cartridges. I have to be able to engage six targets in 6 minutes ranging from 200-900 yards. One shot per target, so with all the knob turning and doping I will be doing I was hoping to keep from having to feed single shot.

Anyone know if I can run 2.8" COAL if I go to a DBM either CDI or SSS? I was going to do this upgrade later as I got some more money together and could get a better stock. I'd rather do this upgrade than change to a LA at this point.

jonbearman
04-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Why cant you open the feed lips to allow the cartridge to pop up to catch the bolt face?

taylorce1
04-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Why cant you open the feed lips to allow the cartridge to pop up to catch the bolt face?

That was my thoughts as well, but I wanted to know if anyone had done this before I started tweaking the magazine. The other thing is that the bullet doesn't move very much before it slips under the bolt. I dont' want to have all my cases being pushed out because there isn't enough support to keep them in the mag well.