PDA

View Full Version : Sending my new 10-fcp .308 to the gunsmith and have some questions.

bendigo78
04-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Just picked up a 10-FCP Choate A5 26" in .308 (the cabelas model) and am getting ready to send it to the gunsmith for threading and bedding and maybe have the barrel cut down a couple inches. How much velocity would I lose by cutting it down to 24"? The choate stock has an aluminum block but the action doesn't seem to sit quite right in it. I also ordered a Sharpshooters recoil lug. What do you guy suggest to get the most out of this rifle?

tammons
04-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Probably about 50 FPS or so.

If its the V block stock it does not really need bedding IMO.
I had a 6mmBR in an unbedded choate stock and it shot 3/4" at 300 yards
But it had a machined recoil lug.

I wouldnt know why it does not fit the V blocks unless it is a bad stock or the action is warped.

I would just start out with a recoil lug and a SSS trigger and see how it shoots.

bendigo78
04-25-2011, 02:46 PM
I say that it doesn't fit the stock right because the rear of the action looks like it sits higher than it should. I'm having it bedded because the groups string horizontal with a couple in one hole then a couple in another hole. Like maybe the action is moving. I figure it's peace of mind anyway.

ellobo
04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
The tang is supposed to be free floated. Is the barrel also? If not, that could be your problem. Put some lipstick on the bottom of the action, tighten the screws and see if the action is touching the V block as it should. If it is, you dont need bedding. Use the propper torque on the screws. If the barrel is touching the stock, wrap a pc. of matchbook cover cardstock around the barrel, first looseneing the action screws and retitghten after putting the cardstock in place. Remove the cardstock and if the barrel still touches the stock you need some work done.

El Lobo.

frank1947
04-26-2011, 12:37 AM
I wouldnt cut the barrel down, you can also take a dollar bill if it slides up and down between stock and barrel then you should be okat I relieve mine so I can slide 3 pieces of copy paper up and down the problem your talking about is usually free float barrel or scope is not holding zero or loose, stock may be flexing into barrel not stiff enuff on bag.

bendigo78
04-26-2011, 09:15 AM
I'll check the barrel tonight. Didn't think about checking that. Every Choate stock I've dealt with had tons of room around the barrel. The tang seems to sit high in the rear.

frank1947
04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
seems to me if tang is high then barrel must be low

jonbearman
04-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Like the last poster said ,the tang is supposed to be floated as well.This is standard practice. If it touches it will affect accuracy. Free float the barrel and torque the screws to 65 inch pounds and shoot it.If you cut the barrel down you will lose very little velocity like 25 fps.