PDA

View Full Version : setting headspace, .308

Toyoda
10-27-2009, 06:59 PM
I will be finishing up my first build, and started to wonder if there was a specific distance I should set my headspace to, or just use my go/no go gauges and be done with it?

model 10, timed and trued (sss), 30" stainless select match shilen barrel (no taper), bell & carlson medalist varminter stock.
I am hoping that that it will like the smk's.

BillPa
10-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Just go ahead and use the gages.

Bill

Toyoda
10-27-2009, 07:56 PM
will do.

is there an optimal length? Or will that be purely controlled by the length of the cartridge?
(is there an optimal cartridge length that you would ever set headspace(including freebore) to get?)

Am I getting too far into something that isn't there?

Dirk
10-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Since headspace on a rimless cartridge is the distance from a datum line on the shoulder to the breach face, free-bore is not part of the equation. Free-bore is set when the chamber is cut. Just go ahead and use your go/no-go gages.

Toyoda
10-27-2009, 08:43 PM
already got it done. ;D

johnds
10-27-2009, 08:46 PM
I will be finishing up my first build, and started to wonder if there was a specific distance I should set my headspace to, or just use my go/no go gauges and be done with it?

model 10, timed and trued (sss), 30" stainless select match shilen barrel (no taper), bell & carlson medalist varminter stock.
I am hoping that that it will like the smk's.

I tried the smks with your same barrel and twist. It liked the Berger 168 vlds much better. The vlds like to be close to the lans

Toyoda
10-27-2009, 08:54 PM
I went with a 1:12 twist, I didn't mention that. ???