PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a bolt head?

Wes_VB
04-25-2011, 09:12 AM
I have the dreaded stuck ejector pin and no amount of coaxing, soaking or banging will get this puppy out.
I called Savage and they will not sell me a bolt head nor will they accept my bolt head without the complete rifle in case they have to change the head.
This is really aggravating. I understand the legal liabilities of headspacing but yeesh!

ESSCEE
04-25-2011, 09:17 AM
SSS has them for around 50 bucks heres a link

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

hope that works

jglover_81
04-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Midway has them but you will have to get all the pieces cuz they are stripped

DGD6MM
04-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Would not a spring solve your problem?

Wes_VB
04-25-2011, 10:30 AM
A new spring would fix me up if I could get the old pin out. It is stuck hard and will not come out.
I was hoping for someone besides SSS. The last time I dealt with them I had to turn them in to my credit card company.

JW
04-25-2011, 11:30 AM
As mentioned, Midway has them, but you will also need to buy the extractor, ejector, and springs
I had an ejector stuck and used kroil, a hairdryer and a small brass hammer to get free
Soaked the pin with kroil, heated the head up with dryer and tapped on side of head and it came out

Also sent one to Savage and they drilled the ejector out, don't know how they did it but that is what the return papers said they had done

Jack

Wes_VB
04-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Also sent one to Savage and they drilled the ejector out, don't know how they did it but that is what the return papers said they had done

Jack

That must have been the good old days. Savage said that under no circumstances would they accept the bolt head for repair. It must come attached to a rifle.

Since this seams to be a pretty common problem what is the cure? Besides not shooting too hot of loads. 8208XBR is evil! It can go from mild to wild in .2 grains.
Well maybe mild is not really true. Let's just say safe to questionable in .2grains.

JW
04-26-2011, 08:48 AM
The complete rifle was sent in for the repair, sorry I did not mention that before

[quote=JW ]
Jack

That must have been the good old days. Savage said that under no circumstances would they accept the bolt head for repair. It must come attached to a rifle.