PDA

View Full Version : Recoil lug options for Axis/Edge?

Kinetik1
04-24-2011, 08:25 AM
As many of you know, the Axis has a different type recoil lug than the 110. I am making a benchrest/varmint type stock for my Axis w/ a custom barrel sometime soon.
So, should I just try to bed the original recoil lug in the stock, or have a recoil lug made that fits on the barrel like the 110 and fills the void in the action where the factory lug went??

Thanks for any input,
Kent

tammons
04-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I would just bed the original lug.

82boy
04-24-2011, 12:11 PM
The Axis/Edge uses the same lug as a 110 the difference is they cut the loop off of it, and it engages the action through a slit cut in the bottom. A Savage recoil lug will not match up with your stock, it will sit farther forward. If you using the factory Edge stock I guess I would use the factory lug.

jlang11
04-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but couldnt the lug be welded in place to the action?

82boy
04-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but couldnt the lug be welded in place to the action?

I guess so. Mausers have there recoil lugs permitly attached to the actions.

JReed
04-24-2011, 09:22 PM
I imagine it could be welded. If so would these then fit in a 10/110 stock?

82boy
04-24-2011, 09:52 PM
If so would these then fit in a 10/110 stock?

Nope, not even close.

Kinetik1
04-25-2011, 09:01 AM
jlang11: I haven't thought of welding in the lug, thanks for the idea!

@82boy, I think you misunderstood a little. I'm building/making my own benchrest stock. Scrapping the plastic stock, and inletting on a mill. I also have access to a machine shop. So I will be making either lug "type" mentioned. I prefer the 110 type lug b/c it stays on the action and I think it would be easier to bed that way verses bedding a lug that stays in the stock.
There should be enough threads on the barrel to accommodate a 110 type lug or ring around the barrel lug, but is there any benefit to a lug that stays in the stock??

82boy
04-25-2011, 10:22 AM
@82boy, I think you misunderstood a little. I'm building/making my own benchrest stock. Scrapping the plastic stock, and inletting on a mill.

You would be the first to do this, everyone else in the past that has made a "Benchrest stock" has taken the factory stock , and attached wood, and used bondo, to make the stock. I just figured that was what you doing. Good luck

JReed
04-25-2011, 11:24 AM

Nope, not even close.

Are the dimensions of the action that different? I haven't seen an Axis in person to do any comparing.

82boy
04-25-2011, 11:34 AM

Nope, not even close.

Are the dimensions of the action that different? I haven't seen an Axis in person to do any comparing.

The dimensions are completely different, The Edge/Axis is in between a long and a short action in length. The trigger assembly is a mix match of aluminum, and plastic that is held in by a spring and a roll pin, the Axis doesn't have a rear tang, and the trigger group makes up the rear tang. The set up floats around untill secured by the rear action screw. (Changing timming) The Axis use s a complete different bolt set up closer to the new 220 shot guns than a 110. The Axis has a different bolt handle and doesn't have a rear baffle like a 110.

To put it another way the two rifles are as different as a Savage 110 and a SKS.

JReed
04-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks Patrick.
As I said I haven't seen one in person so all I know about them is what is online.