PDA

View Full Version : mil tec in your barrel

bob hardy
04-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Just wondering. Have any of you used mil tec in your rifle barrels to make them "super slick." Mil tec is supposed to bond with metal. The advantages could be twofold. First, my .223 is very accurate, but fouls quickly. I mean you can see the difference after the 4th shot from a clean barrel. Each subsequent shot opens up a good group even more. Could the mil tec help reduce fouling?? Second, would the "slicker" barrel increase velocity? I don't have a chrony so I can't tell if this would work or not. BTW, my .223 is a mod. 12, 26" barrel that shoots inside a 1/4" for 3 shots before the groups begin to open up. I have a Weaver 36X on top, and a laminated stock I bought from Northland's Jim Briggs.
Bob

bootsmcguire
04-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Gotta link to this stuff. I did a search and found tons of sites for military surplus sales :D

Curiosity has gotten ahold of me.

ellobo
04-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Sound to me like you have one of those Savage barrels that are notorious for coppering up. Use some copper remover solution to see how much it is in fact coppering up. If so, it will take a lot of shots to smooth it out some. What I do with every new barrel on any make rifle is to scrub the bore with 0000 steel wool on a jag. The rough bores are a result of the button broaching used to rifle a barrel these days, leaves the bore looking like railroad tracks. Some are worse than others. It is a lot cheaper than the old cut rifleing and is one of the reasons Savages are cheaper than other makes. Ocassionaly one barrel will be worse than others. They just need to smoothout with shooting or othre methods like Tubbs bullets coated with abrasives. I just use the steel wool method. Hang in there, it will get better with time and rounds down range.

El Lobo

rcinit
04-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Mil tec is an teflon type of oil. It's the oil version of TW25B grease. You need to use a solvent type cleaner to remove all oil grease debrie etc from the part you're coating it with for it to work at it's best. This stuff is great for desert type enviroments where "CLP", "moly B" and other lubricants hold sand and grit to the surface you're wanting to lube. I know the TW25B works great on the Apache's 30mm gun and rails. However I don't think you'll want to leave Mil Tec oil in your barrel to act as a lube. Better off with a dry type lube, like the moly coated bullets, imo.

Idahojoe
04-24-2011, 11:45 AM
I use Kroil after cleaning and let it set until going to shoot, then dry paching. It helps to keep the fouling down. Just my 2cents. IJ

jonbearman
04-25-2011, 09:03 AM
I would try lapping the bore with tubbs final finish.It will smooth the bore out and anything you add to make the bore slicker actuallly slows the speed of the bullet by reducing the pressure via less resistance to make the bullet move.They have done studies on moly coated bullets and the velocity was always a little less than naked bullets.Hope this helps.