PDA

View Full Version : Stock/Rings keep coming loose

sauced10
04-23-2011, 01:50 AM
About every 40 shots I notice my stock bolts come loose and my rings that mount to my picatinny rail come loose as well.

You can see little screw thread indentations in the piccatinny rail grooves from it slammin back into it when being fired.

I looked at the stock real quick and doesn't seem to be damaged.

Anyways What do you guys recommend? loctite?

bootsmcguire
04-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Might wanna tell us what kind of caliber and what kind of stock you have (accustock, wood, laminate, regular synthetic). I know the accustocks have a certain tightening sequence that if done wrong will cause some trouble.

pdog06
04-23-2011, 10:21 AM
definately need more info.

I NEVER use anything on the threads of my action screws, and have never had a problem with them coming loose. If your stock doesnt have pillars you may wanna look into putting in a set,or replacing thestock all together.

Another thing that may make them come loose is improper bedding. If the rear of the recoil lug isnt touching the stock it will move in the stock under recoil. This means your action screw will move some as well, and could work loose.

I use MEDIUM strength locktite on my scope screws. Like mentioned above, a dab of nail polish also works.

learjet
04-23-2011, 11:54 AM
u usin a torque wrench? ita gotta have tool...the cheap wheeler fats, and other cheapos ive tried aint worth squat...broke down and got a mac and i keep it calibrated, yea thats overkill

a machinist buddy recommends using some solvent to get the screws and screw holes dry and free of oil, and replacing the screws periodically as they do stretch over repeated use

hth

tammons
04-23-2011, 01:31 PM
For the rings, replace them with Burris extreme rings or you could try purple lock tight.

For the stock, maybe the recoil lug is not taking the recoil.

What caliber and what stock ??

sauced10
04-24-2011, 01:22 AM
I'm running a 300 winnie, been testing a lot of loads from a lead sled.

AccuTrigger, Non-Accustock, Plain old tupperware

jonbearman
05-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Get rid of the tupperware as they are really flimsy.I would suggest going to stockys as they do have a good selection and can order certain stocks such as hs precision which is my personal favorite or go up to a stockade stock.I have one and it is really nice and lighter than the hs precision.Its your choice but I would look into it.