PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Decent scope for a Mark II for groundhogs

sav2011
04-23-2011, 12:32 AM
I have the .22 around for groundhogs. I shoot them about 150' away... what would be a decent scope to put on the Mark II for this type of shooting? Thanks.

Cycler
04-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Nikon's ProStaff 3-7x32 "Shotgun" scope is really ideal for this type of use. It's parallax corrected at 75 yards and very clear and the adjustments are precise. A real bargain.

bgc
04-25-2011, 10:17 AM
This scope sounds like a cheep piece of junk.
http://swfa.com:80/BSA-3-9x40-Sweet-22-Riflescope-P42505.aspx

I mounted one with a DNZ Game Reaper on a 10/22 for hunting squirrel as I didn't want to spend much on something that will get beaten up. It's clear and bright, holds its zero even after getting bumped, frozen, baked, and rained/snowed on. The AO/parallax adjustment is spot on and the 3x9 is great for the longer shots. The only reason I can find that would make it a 40 dollar scope is the "Precisely Compensated Turrets" DO NOT match any known 22lr bullet drop.
I have mounted this on 4 personal rifles and 7 customers rifles, try it you may be surprised. If you try a DNZ mount they state it does not need lapping but I have found they do.
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp291/bcls430/Hunting/IMG_0481-1.jpg

sav2011
05-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Do I need to buy a separate mount, or will this scope (the Nikon) mount right onto the rifle? Sorry for the bump, just really need some feedback. Thanks much all.

Warthog
05-16-2011, 09:16 PM
I have the .22 around for groundhogs. I shoot them about 150' away... what would be a decent scope to put on the Mark II for this type of shooting? Thanks.

I had a similar question for my new MarkII BSEV. I have a Vortex Viper (about $450) on my .308, and so I called Vortex with the idea of getting something in one of their cheaper series like a Diamondback. I was concerned about the drop of a .22LR at distance, and the gentleman I was speaking too suggested the Vortex Viper 2 - 7 X 32 as it has 110 MOA of adjustment. He said he has a .22 with this scope mounted. This model lists for $356, but it is discontinued and is selling for $150. The optics as very high grade and the scope is high quality. The down side I see is the lack of a Huge lens for low light and a lack of a high power setting. I don't hunt, and two jack rabbits have even set up residence in my back yard. I named one Stew, which my wife didn't like much. I tried to get a stainless scope, but the silver scopes don't match the Savage stainless. I had to use the high scope mounts as my earmuffs interfered with the stock. Next time I will take them with me when I select the mount. I used Warren, which are two piece steel.

My question is, for hunting, is a 2 - 7 about the right power, or is more better? I usually shoot at paper, but I might try hunting in the future. My new rifle is below.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa323/Warthogx0/Savage_MarkII-BSEV_22LR_1.jpg

Uncle Jack
05-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Nice pet!

uj

Rob Rat
05-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Try a Simmons 6.5-20 Whiletail Classic. $109 from MidwayUSA. Very good glass for the $

Warthog
05-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Nice pet!

uj

FYI, the snake in the picture is rubber. It did scare the guys that were spraying for bugs. A couple the Jack Rabbits moved into our back yard and they keep checking the snake out to make sure it isn't alive.

bubbinator
05-29-2011, 12:39 AM
I recently bought a Cabela's Caliber Specific Scope for my Savage M93 17HMR. It has the extended range sighting marks below the cross hair and has surprisingly good glass, very clear picture. It was on sale for +/- $100. I am very pleased with it. I have a Burris adjustable range-finding scope I got on a trade gun that sold for $400+ and the Cabela's I think is a better scope!

sav2011
05-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the input. So if I buy one of the scope you all recommend, is that all I need or do I also need to buy a mount separately?

TOP PREDATOR
06-01-2011, 10:25 PM
well, obviously you are going to need rings. as it's a mkii, i assume, it came with bases, so you probably will not need them.

i suggest going with a DIP one piece 25 MOA base though while at that point. there's more than enough slope added to get you out to 150 and much more if you should choose to do so without hit the end of the adjustment clicks. plus the one piece base is of the picatinny type, which gives you several option to mount your rings / scope to get the eye relief just right. if ever you want to add a level, a rail mounted style goes right on. plus the base looks cool.

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu54/WALTERRO/bases/bases015.jpg
http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu54/WALTERRO/bases/bases020.jpg

shaman
06-02-2011, 03:13 AM
I feel like a stalker with a broken record always saying TP is right, but the 25 MOA will let you shoot farther, and the rail section just in front of the ejection port has enough space to mount a level onto. Definitely important if you are going to be using the scope on a bench and trying to stretch it out. As far as scopes, again, the scope that TP has on his rifle is what I will probably stick on my MK2 in 17hm2, a centerpoint 4-16x40 from wally world, or a vortex crossfire, the $99 one from SWFA. Is 150 feet the max, average, or min you will be shooting?

Vance in AK
06-02-2011, 01:46 PM
This scope sounds like a cheep piece of junk.
http://swfa.com:80/BSA-3-9x40-Sweet-22-Riflescope-P42505.aspx

I mounted one with a DNZ Game Reaper on a 10/22 for hunting squirrel as I didn't want to spend much on something that will get beaten up. It's clear and bright, holds its zero even after getting bumped, frozen, baked, and rained/snowed on. The AO/parallax adjustment is spot on and the 3x9 is great for the longer shots. The only reason I can find that would make it a 40 dollar scope is the "Precisely Compensated Turrets" DO NOT match any known 22lr bullet drop.
I have mounted this on 4 personal rifles and 7 customers rifles, try it you may be surprised. If you try a DNZ mount they state it does not need lapping but I have found they do.
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp291/bcls430/Hunting/IMG_0481-1.jpg

I have the same scope on my MK II BV & although it has only seen maybe 500 rds it does seme to be a very good scope for the money. If I had another gun to scope would buy another in a heart beat.

bgc
06-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I have found this model to be the best bang for the buck. 40$ at SWFA

Vance in AK
06-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Took my MKII BV out with my 17 yr old daughter today (she hasn't shot 10 rds through a rifle in the last 3 yrs, very limited before that).with the BSA Sweet 22 scope on it & she was breaking clay birds at 55 yds right off. Inside of 20 rds she was breaking small pieces (1-1.5"?) of clay birds with alarming regularity! She was shooting from a picnic table, using a cheap plastic pistol rest under the forearm & no rest under the buttstock, using the Winchester bulk (333) hollowpoints. I have no doubt she could have been head shooting ground hogs at 150' with a 75%+ success rate.
We were there to shoot her graduation present, a new S&W mod 22A, but before long she was letting the 22A sit so she could shoot my Savage. I think I may have created a monster! ;D ;D

shaman
06-02-2011, 08:41 PM
IF the only problem you have with you 17 year old daughter that just graduated high school,is that she wants to shoot your gun, consider yourself very lucky, and also consider writing a book so that other people can have your problem.

Walt T
06-02-2011, 08:44 PM
I had some problems with the Centerpoint 4-16. At 16X eye relief got very touchy, and after a couple thousand rounds some flecks showed up floating around inside. I liked the scope, but it went back and was traded for the Bushnell 4-12X40 AO at Wally's. The Bushy is a nice piece of glass, is holding zero, and adjustments are repeatable. We'll see how it holds up.

shaman
06-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I don't turn mine up past 14, but for $70 it's not a bad scope.

forger
06-07-2011, 11:37 AM
This one has served me well on my Savage 93R17V;
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-4-16x40mm-Scope/10248654