PDA

View Full Version : New To Stock Swapping

dracphelan
04-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi,
I just got one of Boyd's new centerfeed stocks for my Stevens 200. Unfortunately, work is not leaving me with time to order the screws I need in order from Savage (I've been way to busy when they are open). Does anyone know of an online retailer that carries the Savage wood stock screws?

frank1947
04-23-2011, 09:56 AM
try midway they carry screws for savage action

dracphelan
04-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Well, I went to Home Despot, and they did not have any screws that will fit. Looking closer at the trigger guard, I realized I will also need a trigger guard. I would need to either heavily dremel the stock or the plastic trigger guard, and I'm not comfortable doing that. So, I will call Brownells and/or Midway and see if they have what I need.

bythebook
04-24-2011, 06:59 AM
I have made several screws for my Savages by buying the screws and cutting them to size. It is done the same as for a car or truck repair.

Uncle Jack
04-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Me, too. I buy SS 1/4 by 28 hex head screws at my local ACE hardware and just cut or grind them to length. I also bought a cheap ($20.00) inch/pound torque wrench from Harbor Freight for consistant tightening.

uj

bythebook
04-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Thats the about the same setup I have UJ except my inch lb. torque wrench is left over from my mechanic days. My other wrench is a Fat Wrench and it does a pretty fair job.

dracphelan
05-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Well, I got the longer screws I needed from Brownells and everything went together beautifully. Then, I had to get fancy and creative. I read how some people used JB Weld as bedding compound and wax as a release agent. So, I decided to try this. Turtle wax makes an excellent release agent. However, I added to much JB Weld. Some of it got into the action and onto the extractor on the bolt. While cleaning off the compound I slid the extractor loose and the detent ball that holds it in place flew away. I then discovered that I had the blind magazine in the stock backwards and had managed to get some of the JB Weld between the magazine body and the stock. So, I have now ordered the parts from Savage (magazine box, clip, detent ball and extractor spring). If I can't find a way to soften the JB Weld, I will be cutting the magazine body out of the stock. I should have left it alone until after I test fired the rifle.

Has anyone ever tried to soften JB weld with a heat gun?

Ray Gunter
05-03-2011, 12:18 PM

JB Weld being a metal filled epoxy, once it sets up, its there. Heat wont effect it. I think your gonna grind.

frank1947
05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
sure wish you would have asked somewhere before you started you should have taken box mag out filled hole with clay and bolt out , and wrapped in tape

dracphelan
05-03-2011, 09:23 PM
sure wish you would have asked somewhere before you started you should have taken box mag out filled hole with clay and bolt out , and wrapped in tape

Yeah, I wish I had asked too. I now cracked the stock trying to get the magazine body out. As one of my [hysics professors in college was fond of saying "It was a glorious learning opportunity."

frank1947
05-03-2011, 10:37 PM
how about a dremel tool with cut off wheel to get mag out and then maybe use that epoxy to fix crack, do you think that might work, there is a tool for just about every job

dracphelan
05-04-2011, 08:15 AM
how about a dremel tool with cut off wheel to get mag out and then maybe use that epoxy to fix crack, do you think that might work, there is a tool for just about every job

That's what I was doing. When I pulled on a piece of the magazine body, it cracked the stock. I've ordered a replacement from Boyds. I'll wait on bedding the stock until I get a bedding kit.

frank1947
05-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Boyds is wood? is it one of those from Stocky stocks, they have a pillar set that is a good start for a wood stock easy to install get the pillar set from stocky stock and I will tell you how to do it really easy

dracphelan
05-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Boyds is wood? is it one of those from Stocky stocks, they have a pillar set that is a good start for a wood stock easy to install get the pillar set from stocky stock and I will tell you how to do it really easy

It is one of these stocks:
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ROSS-FT-SAVAGE-10-SHORT-ACTION-CENTERFEED-p/610-538-ft.htm

frank1947
05-06-2011, 09:17 AM
okay, they say all you need do on laminates is pillar bed, who ever they are, is that stock a true drop in, and was it free floated when you dropped it in?

dracphelan
05-06-2011, 09:41 AM
okay, they say all you need do on laminates is pillar bed, who ever they are, is that stock a true drop in, and was it free floated when you dropped it in?

It dropped right in. It was somewhat free floated. But, I noticed some binding toward the back of the barrel. So, I decided to relieve a little of the wood and try the JB Weld bedding process. This time, I'll just try shooting it first and then go from there. The last of my replacement parts should arrive by Wednesday of next week. Which means I should have the rifle together for shooting by my vacation the week after.

frank1947
05-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Sounds like a plan

Dirk
05-06-2011, 05:45 PM
As one of my physics professors in college was fond of saying "It was a glorious learning opportunity."

I guess you just proved that a college education isn't all that it's cracked up to be. ::)

GaCop
05-07-2011, 08:18 AM

JB Weld being a metal filled epoxy, once it sets up, its there. Heat wont effect it. I think your gonna grind.

Yup, grinding with a Dremel is the only way your gonna get it out.