PDA

View Full Version : Choate or Accustock?

Jets
10-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Cabelas has the 10FCP with the Choate stock and a 24" heavy barrel and Dicks Sporting Goods has the 10FCPXP with a 22" fluted barrel. I assume stock is the Accustock. I was wanting to get opinons about the two. The one at Dicks comes with a mounted Tasco scope. Both are on sale for $600.

1Shot
10-27-2009, 09:58 AM
.I'ld go for the accustock...If that is what it is..Nothing special about the choate imo..& you can find them pretty easy if you want 1 later...

LG
10-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I'd double check if that Savage rifle at Dicks has the accustock. It might vary from store to store. But the Dicks store in my area has one of those model 10 rifles like you described, with fluted barrel and scope (not sure about the exact model designation). It has a black plastic stock but it's not the accustock.

CL1KKL4C
10-28-2009, 01:14 AM
My local Dicks offers that rifle as well and its not the accustock version. Just the plain jane tupperware. The Choate offers the full length alum. bedding block. But most reviews Ive read on the Choate say its heavy and the palm swell is large. I guess if you plan on throwing a different stock on it doesn't really matter either way.

jdg
10-29-2009, 07:06 PM
I assume stock is the Accustock.

Does it have a smooth barrel nut? Quick way to ID the Accustock models.

I'm very happy with my Choate stock, but wouldnt mind an Accustock rifle.

rbama1718
10-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Hello. I just joined the forum this evening, and figured I'd start posting.

I bought the one from Dick's a few weeks ago just to mess around with, and it does NOT have the accustock (I knew that before buying it). Just the same old plastic stock. I was, however, pretty surprised with how well it shot right out of the box. Once I got it broke in, it had no problem shooting around .5" groups (measured center to center) at 100 yards. The worst group I shot was .66". This was with the cheap tasco scope that came on the gun, and the cheap factory stock. I was using 175gr SSA Sierra Match ammunition. Here's a picture of one of the groups (This is actually a four shot group. I was using this group to qualify to shoot at the 300 yard lane at a local range, and didn't want to take a chance on a random flier, so I didn't shoot the fifth shot):

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c52/rbama1718/group3.jpg

It performed so well, I decided to put a little money in it to see what it can do. I just ordered an H-S Precision M24 stock, a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 BDC scope, and Leupold mounts and rings. I'm going to glass bed it when it all gets here. I expect it to be a solid rifle when it gets put together.