PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Moly or Stainless?

lomfs24
04-18-2011, 10:22 PM
I am sure this has been asked before but I couldn't seem to find it in a search.

Chrome Moly or Stainless? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

This is what I know so far. Stainless can be left alone and just put on the way it is. No need to blue it or finish it. And of course you can nitride it for that great look that nitride gives. Chrome Moly will rust so it needs to be finished with bluing or some other finish. Can these be finished with nitride as well? If you nitride it will it still rust? Barrel life? Will a stainless last longer provided you don't nitride it? Or are both relatively the same just what ever your rifle needs to match? I once had a rifle with a blued action and stainless barrel and it didn't really look all that bad together. Kind of a two tone look that a lot of handguns are going to these days.
And of course there is the price break, although it's not much the Chrome Moly barrels seem to be a little cheaper.

bootsmcguire
04-18-2011, 10:39 PM
As far as Barrel life goes, I think caliber selection dictates that more than barrel material. In my mind, unless you require a high luster bluing or just prefer the look of blue, I would go SS. SS can be blasted, coated, and nitrided (CM can be nitrided also) and all of those options still give you corrosion resistance in the bore and chamber with the SS. The other benift of the SS is since the price is ussually close to the same, and a majority of people go SS over CM because it doesn't need to be finished further, which means most barrel suppliers have more SS in stock ready to ship.

Yes the two tone is kinda nice. I have built 3 that way so far.

ESSCEE
04-19-2011, 03:50 PM
The way I understand it a moly barrel can be nitrided that is why I am going with it as you say it is a small price break and if you are nitriding anyway why not go with the cheaper material.

bootsmcguire
04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
No reason that I can see if you are nitriding it. But if you are not, then the corrosion resistance is worth the couple extra bucks.

sha-ul
05-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I was chatting with Ron Silvers of AAC on another forums about nitriding& he was saying that Chrome-moly responds better to the process& will have more corrosion resistance than stainless treated in the same way.

lomfs24
05-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Good to know sha-ul. I don't live too far from you. Are there any good shooting ranges down in that neck of the woods or any good matches?

sha-ul
05-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Good to know sha-ul. I don't live too far from you. Are there any good shooting ranges down in that neck of the woods or any good matches?

I have 80 acres so I can step out back ;D
what part of the state are you in?

lomfs24
05-07-2011, 02:09 AM
I am up in the NW part. Closest big town is Hays. But I live in Wakeeney.

sha-ul
05-24-2011, 01:34 AM
I am up in the NW part. Closest big town is Hays. But I live in Wakeeney.

I was chatting with a guy near Pratt that is working on setting up an 800 yard range on his own property, but he had just broken his arm, so that was on hold :(

If you haven't found it yet, pop into the forums at ksccw.com it started as a concealed carry forum, but seems to have grown into a general 2a forum for the state (sorry it took so long to reply, been hella busy)

lomfs24
05-24-2011, 09:20 AM
It's good to know. I'll check that website out. Thanks.