PDA

View Full Version : What tools will I need to change barrels on the 110 action

35Whelenshooter
04-18-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm still new to this switch barrels system, that you can perform on on 110 or 200 series actions. What tools are needed to preform a barrel switch; on and action will I need and special tools ?
If possible would someone be kind a make a list of what basic tools or special tools needed to; preform the switch IE headspace gauges, barrel vise action wrench etc. What or were would be a good place to get tools from.

Thank you. Mike
kb9lwu@gmail.com

taylorce1
04-18-2011, 03:59 PM
You can get most of the tools from Midway USA or Brownells. You are going to need a barrel nut wrench and either a barrel vise or action wrench. I prefer to use an action wrench over the barrel vise. You can make your own barrel vise pretty easily out of wood blocks an some scrap metal if you are handy to save on costs. I like to headspace with gages the best, but I've done it with brass as well in a pinch.

f6boomer
04-18-2011, 09:29 PM
+1 on the action wrench, I've not used or needed a barrel clamp yet. Penetrating oil and a 1/2" drive breaker bar on the barrel nut wrench help a lot. Good luck and enjoy the versatility.

slaroy
04-18-2011, 09:55 PM
+1 on all above... action wrench, nut wrench, and gauges.

I also keep a dead blow hammer around for the first time removing a barrel. And yes it is that simple. Once you've switched one barrel you will be hooked. I bought my action wrench from midway too, but got my nut wrench (and a new recoil lug) from Northlander who is a sponsor of this site.

ellobo
04-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut from another 35 Whelen shooter.

El Lobo

LHitchcox
04-19-2011, 09:30 AM
I strongly advise the use of an action wrench. I have cracked loose three receivers that wouldn't budge with a barrel vise. My procedure is to attach the action wrench and then place the gun on the floor on a piece of cardboard or carpet. Then I attach the barrel nut wrench and simply stand on the two wrenches. The barrel nut pops loose easily under the force of my weight.

I also use the go gage only. A layer of two of Scotch tape applied to the head of the go gage will show if you have too much head space. A single layer of tape is .002.

35Whelenshooter
04-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Thank you ellobo, I look forward to eveyone's input. Glad to be a proud member, thanks for all the help that everyone has put forth to help me out with this. I will be keeping notes. Thanks for all the help.

Con
04-19-2011, 03:33 PM
A bench mounted vice is also handy as re-assembly often requires 3 hands. I clamp the action wrench in the vice so the barrelled action is being held ... then I have two hands free to attend to the barrel/nut/nut wrench when these are being tightened up again.
Cheers...
Con