PDA

View Full Version : model 11 fns grouping problem

savagefns110
04-17-2011, 04:40 PM
I recently bought a savage model 11 fsn and put a red field 4-12x40mm scope on it. I'm shooting a 55gr nosler sp cartridge out of it and i'm having trouble with keeping a pie plate group with it at 100 yrds. At 50 yrds it keeps about a 1 in group but when i back it out further it gets out of control anyone have any kind of idea what might be going on?

savagefns110
04-17-2011, 04:43 PM
its a .223 sorry i fogot this

82boy
04-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Try a diferent scope. Make sure everthing is tight. 95% of accuracy problems are scope related.

savagefns110
04-17-2011, 08:35 PM
I thought about that but its fine at 50 it just jumps around at 100 I was wondering if maybe it had to do with the bullet weight

GaCop
04-18-2011, 07:01 AM
The longer ranges is where scope problems start to show up. I had a Crossfire go bad on my 6.5X47L. the poor grouping of a new barrel drove me nuts until I narrowed the problem to a scope gone bad. As soon as I replaced the Crossfire wit a scope that was a known performer, groups shrunk down to sub MOA. Vortex was great when I contacted them about the scope problem (second time) and they made me a deal on a Viper I couldn't refuse.

bluealtered
04-18-2011, 09:15 AM
You might check the scop bases as well, i have seen them finger tight from the factory. Drove me nuts until i checked them, which i should have done out of the box. blue

lomfs24
04-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Check the easy stuff first, scopes and rings. However, Savage is showing a 1:9 twist in that gun. 1:9 is spinning that 50 gr pretty fast. Some comments others have made on other boards suggest that in a 1:9 twist they have had better luck with a little heavier bullet. 60 to 75 gr seemed to work better. Maybe even moving up to a 55gr might make a difference.

There are people who will tell you that you can't over stabilize a bullet and I agree with them to a point.

Blue Avenger
04-18-2011, 09:53 AM
some times front screws are a hair long and the very front one will bottom on the barrel threads. You think it is holding the base tight and it is not. You can see down into the whole to the barrel if you remove the screw. I had one so bad I could rock the base with the rear screw out.

tammons
04-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Check the easy stuff first, scopes and rings. However, Savage is showing a 1:9 twist in that gun. 1:9 is spinning that 50 gr pretty fast. Some comments others have made on other boards suggest that in a 1:9 twist they have had better luck with a little heavier bullet. 60 to 75 gr seemed to work better. Maybe even moving up to a 55gr might make a difference.

There are people who will tell you that you can't over stabilize a bullet and I agree with them to a point.

Doesnt matter in a 9 twist.
I had a 7 twist that shot 52 gr amaxes tighter than any other gun I have ever owned.

Its probably the scope or bases. If you dont have a 1 piece base change that first and get some good rings.

Then try a different scope. Redfield is a good name but it would not surprise me if they were made in China now.

savagefns110
04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
thanx everyone i checked the bases and rings they are all tight i'm going to take the scope back and just buy a different scope... this whole situation is really driving me nuts so i hope this fixes the problem

tammons
04-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Yes they will drive you nuts.
My dad bought a new SS mini 14 in 6.8 spc.

I was handloading for it in a AR15 anyway so when we got it, I started dialing
it in. Its shot all over the place. The new minis have the base milled into the receiver
and they come with SS rings.

I swapped scopes 3 times, and one of them was bad which really threw me off.
I honed the rings, checked everything and went through probably 80 hand loads.

Finally one day totally out of patience and almost out of ammo I set it up with the
original scope and shot it 3 times with 30 seconds between each shot.
5" low left, 2" low left, 2" high right.

Let it cool down for 1/2 an hour and tried it again, and it shot exactly the same pattern.

Sent it back to ruger, and they changed the barrel, bolt and a few other things.

When we got it back it shot 1" groups.

These problems are not easy to find.

One thing I have learned is I have never been able to get a 2 piece base to hold zero.
Another is if everything it is most likely the scope.
If you are shooting cheap ammo and its shooting all over the place, handload a known accuracy load or buy some
blackhills match ammo and try that.

I had some bulk remi 223 ammo that shot 3"-5" groups. My 52 gr handloads out of the same rifle shot
1/4"-3/8"

That said, sharpshooter once stated he had fixed more bad barrels buy swapping scopes than any other method.

jonbearman
04-20-2011, 01:12 AM
His scope is made by leupold in case you think it is some cheapo.They are good scopes and at least as good as a rifleman or v1.

savagefns110
04-21-2011, 10:43 AM
yeah i kno the scopes not a cheapo thats y i bought it but i am goin to hand load some 60 gr hornady vmax's and see what happens so we will go from there thanx