PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 10FCP-K bolt won't open

amarkmac
04-16-2011, 04:29 PM
OK, everyone. Here's a great opportunity to get some good laughs.

I recently purchased a NIB Savage 10FCP-K. This is my first Savage rifle, although I'm a long-time shooter (we're talking decades!) and I own several other bolt-action rifles. The Savage hasn't even been fired yet. I assembled it out of the box, cycled the bolt a number of times, and dry-fired it maybe three times to see how the trigger felt. That was 3-4 weeks ago. Today I got it out of the safe to mount a scope on it and noticed that I can't open the bolt. The safety is off (red dot fully exposed), the firing pin is in the "fired" position, and upon disassembly I can visually see that the trigger assembly is in the "fired" configuation.

I'm thinking this has to be some sort of Savage-newbie initiation rite, and that I'm missing something really basic, but darned if I can figure it out. I even skimmed through the manual! (Does that make me any less a man, now?)

So, lay it on me! What's up?

Mark

drybean
04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
if you have mounted your scope base
back your front base screws off,my be too long
drybean

amarkmac
04-16-2011, 05:15 PM
OMG! That was it, Drybean!!

After removing the EGW mount, I now see that the screws are slightly different lengths--I totally missed that when I was putting it on, and the fact that the screw holes actually go all the way through to the bolt!

Thanks for the quick reponse.

drybean
04-16-2011, 05:28 PM
now all we need is a range report
drybean

GaCop
04-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Ya gotta love this forum for helpful information.