PDA

View Full Version : hard extraction

John K
04-16-2011, 01:54 PM
If I asked this question before, my apologies.
I have a 112V in 22-250.Trying to open the bolt after firing any factory round is very difficult. I immediatly assumed I had a headspace problem. I used a RCBS precision mik and measured a Clymer chamber go guage which as I understand it is made to SAMMI min for that caliber. THen i measured a fired case with the same guage. The case is only a few thousands longer so its well within the tolerance.

I thought I had read somewhere a long time ago that there was a problem with the camming geometry in opening the bolt with this action. I called Savage but they wont even speak about the orphans that were built before the restructuring. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I was tempted to load some very light loads to see if the problem persisted.

many thanks,
John

Damon
04-16-2011, 02:03 PM
does it do this everytime?when you say any factory round,which factory rounds?i have seen some you almost have to take a rubber mallet to pull the bolt back!but it was in larger calibers.

John K
04-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Yes,it happens everytime. I have tried winchester ,remington, federal, hornady etc. for what its worth they all group around 1.25" at 100 yards off my rest and bags. I check the fired cases with a case guage and all are within the acceptable limits for length ,headspace etc.

Many thanks,
john

keeki
04-16-2011, 05:21 PM
I know this sounds crazy but make sure the barrel nut is tight. Is it scarring the case any?

chainsaw
04-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Try taking your bolt apart and seeing if there might be a little peice of primer inside there.

John K
04-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. THe bolt cycles fine on an empty chamber and shows no problem if i cycle it on a fired case. it only occurs after firing a round.

Thank you:)

chainsaw
04-17-2011, 01:35 PM
i would take it to a gun smith,before you fire it again.Take a few fired cases with you when you go.