PDA

View Full Version : Identify 308 Butcher Job

iamsniper1
04-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Acquired a Savage Model 10,Accutrigger, 308,24"Heavy Barrel(non fluted)with Choate Tactical Short Action stock.the action is round back.
Serial #G704XXX.The action screw spacing measures about 4.4??.
2 types of short actions are listed-1)Standard=4.275,2)Centerfeed=4.411.I'm not really sure which action I have.
the action it's self is in excellent condition including bore.
Now for the butcher job-Said butcher buys the Choate stock not knowing if the action was standard,centerfeed or detachable magazine,(he has the screw spacing right,action to stock is excellent)however he does not have the blind box and follower,so he proceeded to GLUE A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE into a blind(Top Loading) stock and continued on with the action bedding using some mystery bedding compound,lucky for me the compound did not work(harden)
I remove all the crap with a small tip screwdriver(scraped right off).
The problem I now face is-what type of magazine assembly do I need for this action,I do know for sure??that the action was not set up for a detachable magazine.What is the difference between staggered feed and centerfeed?
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

aztec223
04-16-2011, 10:19 AM
What is the difference between staggered feed and centerfeed?

I would also like to know the advantages of one over the other.

I do not mean to hijack this thread.

82boy
04-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Can you take a picture of the bottom of the action? The centerfeed is wider, and longer, it doesn't have tabs for the magazine box to lock in. Measure the screw spacing on the action if it is 4.275 then it is a staggered feed, if it is 4.40 then it is a centerfeed.

What is the difference between staggered feed and centerfeed?

The staggered feed system has the magazine box attached to the action and the magazine follower is held in place by the stock. The centerfeed system uses a magazine that is held in by the stock and fit through a hole in the bottom of the action. Savage came out with the centerfeed to correct reported feeding/reliability problems with the older staggered feed system.

The advantages is with the new centerfeed magazine system and current parts availability it is easy to convert to a detachable magazine system. Most people complain that it is harder to load a centerfeed magazine. The centerfeed is able to reliably load cartridges that the staggered feed could not unless tweaked.

I would also like to know the advantages of one over the other.

I do not mean to hijack this thread.

iamsniper1
04-16-2011, 11:47 AM
"Can you take a picture of the bottom of the action? The centerfeed is wider, and longer, it doesn't have tabs for the magazine box to lock in. Measure the screw spacing on the action if it is 4.275 then it is a staggered feed, if it is 4.40 then it is a centerfeed."

I measured a few times more and the screw spacing is 4 and 3/8s(4.411),The bottom of the receiver(hole)measures from back to front-2 and 9/32s narrows down to a length of 29/32s,width at the back(widest length) is 15/16th and the width of the narrow(front)is 23/32s,overall length is 3 and 1/4s.
All figures are + or -.
I say that this action is true short and centerfeed,correct me if I am wrong.
If this action is indeed a centerfeed,what parts do I need for a top loading stock?

Forgot to mention there a no tabs or anything to attach a magazine.

82boy
04-16-2011, 11:50 AM
"I say that this action is true short and centerfeed,correct me if I am wrong.
If this action is indeed a centerfeed,what parts do I need for a top loading stock?

All you need is the magazine box assembly for the caliber of the gun.

pdog06
04-16-2011, 12:15 PM
All you should need is a centerfeed 243/308 blind magbox and follower assembly. It should come with the magbox frame, follower and spring, and I think it comes with the mounting tab(L-clip) as well. If it doesnt come with the tab you will need to purchase that also.

You can probably put a want ad in the classifieds here and find what you need, or get it right from Savage. A set from any centerfeed short action Savage or Stevens will work, as long as it is in the same cartridge class(243/308/etc).

iamsniper1
04-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Now that the action has been identified,I am going to my plan A,turn this rifle into a single shot using a sled,that was the main reason for getting this thing.
I had to know exactly what this rifle was in case plan A didn't work out.
Thanks for all the replies,any other suggestions will be helpful,like an easy install for the sled and whats needed beside the sled.
Once the action is torqued,scoped and sighted in,there should be no reason to remove the stock,provided I did my part.

pdog06
04-16-2011, 07:07 PM
With the SSS centerfeed single shot follower you do not even need to buy a magbox, as it has to be removed to use the follower anyway.

Heres a write-up I did on it a while back(hopefully my photobucket allows the pics to come up):

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,14859.0.html

Heres where to find the centerfeed single shot loading ramp:

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

iamsniper1
04-16-2011, 10:33 PM
[quote=pdog06 ]
With the SSS centerfeed single shot follower you do not even need to buy a magbox, as it has to be removed to use the follower anyway.

Heres a write-up I did on it a while back(hopefully my photobucket allows the pics to come up):

pdog06
I read your write up(great pics) I understand the installation except for the tab part,there is nothing in the stock or anything attached to the bottom of the action,the guy glued in a detachable mag,I removed the mag,there is no tab at all.
Where is the tab supposed to be?

GaCop
04-17-2011, 07:09 AM

I went the same route with my build. The SSS single shot follower is great. As I will only be using my rifle benchrest, I removed the ejector and shaped and glassed a pine plug into the stock mag well. I then glassed over the top of that so now the stock looks like it was bedded with a target action.