PDA

View Full Version : Bedding Question

jsthntn247
04-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Just bought a Stevens in 223. I have some 5/16 inch rods that I am going to JB weld into the forearm channels. The end of my stock is touching at the end on the left side. Should I dremmel this area out or put tape around the barrel to center the stock and then let the jb weld and steel rods straighten it out?? I am just worried about adding stress. Also I have some Devcon 10110 to bed the action. Should I just bed the front lug and not worry about the rear action screw. It looks like the rear would be difficult to bed with the metal clip holder on there. I have bedded my Rem 700 in a aftermarket stock and it turned out well. This looks like it's going to be a little more difficult though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Samdweezel05
04-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Clearance the barrel channel in the stock before you bed. Bedding will more than likely not change where the barrel sits in the stock very much.

jsthntn247
04-16-2011, 12:51 AM
I just finished putting the rods in with the jb weld. I wished I would have had tow packs of jb weld :(. I am going to let this set until tomorrow afternoon and then consider bedding. I saw a post on here where someone talked about removing the metal clip over the rear action screw, but i'm not sure how that would work.

jsthntn247
04-17-2011, 02:24 AM
I just popped mine out after 3 hours of curing with devcon 10110. I looks allot better than I expected and came out extremely easy with kiwi natural shoe polish. I am going to let it cure for 12 more hours then add some foam and lead into the butt for additional weight. Then duracoat the barrel and krylon gap camo the stock. Hope this darn thing shoots after all this. Will post pics of the bedding process tomorrow and hopefully some .5" inch group pictures later. ;D

GaCop
04-17-2011, 06:59 AM
The rods will stiffen the forearm a bit but you will still have some flex in the thin part of the stock at the recoil lug cutout. If you decide to use a bipod, you may still run into problems.