PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on ultra mags

Pages : 1 [2]

Samdweezel05
07-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I am a big fan of my 300 RUM. I've shot 3 deer and a bear with it using 180 grain Scirrocos and and 180 Accubond on the bear. Went through both shoulders. Of course I'm a sissy and didn't shoot it before this was on. Can shoot it as long as my wallet can last with the break though.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t32/kranny99/100_0388.jpg

Can I ask what break that is?

savageboy
07-06-2011, 12:40 PM
They burn alot of powder! I guess if you are shooting big game at long ranges- past 300yds it makes sense. But, its America and we can buy and shoot whatever we want to, they wouldn't make then unless people were buying them :)

BrettSass844
07-15-2011, 08:46 PM
I have always overlooked the ultras and other barrel burners due to the fact that I shoot more comps and recreation than hunting. Does it have less drop and wind drift at 1k and further? sure. But for me the deciding factor is always the fact that I do not want to have a barrel that goes bottom up in 1,500 or less. I also do not want to chase my lands and redevelop mt handloads frequently. Dont get me wrong, if i lived in a state where I had the opportunity to rifle hunt big game more often i would own one. The main question that needs asked is what will the rifles main use be. IMO if you are going to target shoot more than hunt, then anything from a 280REM to 300WM will serve you just as well given the practice you can get in without feeling like you went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Adam K
07-19-2011, 01:50 PM
The brake is a Hollands Quick Discharge. It works great, and is nice for prone shooting with it not having the ports on the bottom side it doesn't blow dirt everywhere.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6905/Product/QUICK_DISCHARGE_BRAKE

CJ in WY
07-19-2011, 05:27 PM
With the Holland brake on it the 338 Edge it kicks less the the 25-06 Axis. I have not and will not shoot it without the brake....Did that once with the 50BMG :o
Inside of 400 yards your gonna ruin a lot of meat with a poor placed shot with any of the big magnums......Thats why I save them for those cross canyon shots, the little Sweede will handle anything inside of 400 yards just fine!

D.ID
07-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Extra velocity does not mean much at close range where it is not needed but the efficiency of sleeker heavier bullets at the same velocity count for a lot when you start reaching out there. I made a 338 edge by rechambering a 338win 116BGH and adding a good baffle brake and it is my favorite rifle 11lbs all dressed out, Kicks less than my WSM and routinely shoots 1.25" at 420 yards. 300 grain bullets at 2750fps still have Plenty of steam on it for Elk or moose even way out there beyond. If your interested in long range jump on it but if not it would be way overkill. Velocity is temporary but efficiency is eternal. If your shooting faster than three grand you need a heavier bullet.............................Duke

Tracer
08-12-2011, 11:10 AM
I will agree with "Sniper-1" as I have several very very accurate rifles down in the safe but for hunting long range in North America, I use my 7mm magnum with a high B.C. bullet and it works with the Bushnell Tactical scope (mil-dot, Adj AO & Turrets) at 5 x 15 power.

Rebarreling used to be a cheaper way to have a new rifle in a different caliber, mostly larger caliber. However, at todays rates it is really just as cheap (better also in accuracy) to just replace that barrel and sell it to someone. NEVER get in a hurry building a new rifle OK.

Blue Avenger
08-12-2011, 11:58 AM
easiest fix for a 7 rem mag if more is needed is to go stw. you just bore it 1/4" deeper and switch to 8mm mag brass. there is 7stw brass now made and 300wm works in a pinch, but very short neck.