PDA

View Full Version : bolt bounce

Fullskip
04-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Ok, guys- Anyone with knowledge on how too eliminate bolt bounce? You know the hop of the bolt when you dry fire drives me crazy. I have it on a lh 110 long action pre acuu-trigger. Is it a sear timing issue???? Mine will even bounce a BT nob.

Fullskip

geargrinder
04-15-2011, 11:39 AM
The easiest way to get rid of bolt bounce is to replace your action with a tight tolerance bench rest action without a floating bolt head.

The bounce mostly comes from the slop between the bolt body and the raceway. Having the floating bolt head only lets it move more.

Using something as a snap cap will at least hold the bolt head and might get rid of some of your bounce.

sharpshooter
04-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Bolt bounce can be caused by 2 things: 1. Axial wind-up caused by the bolt head not centering and snapping back when dry fired( this of course is on an empty chamber).The more the bolt body clearance is, the more the jump.This disappears when actually firing a live round, so it is nothing to lose sleep over.
2. Over rotation, causing the cocking piece pin to strike the ramp before bottoming out. This is caused by the bolt body being machined out of phase.