PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have to file their guard screws?

AKsavageshooter71
04-15-2011, 05:18 AM
I've a pre-accutrigger, wood stock .30-06 & I noticed that when I tightened the guard screws that I'd have to back 'em off a bit, in order to allow the bolt to move. I've since filed the screws down, in order for a good tight fit, & to allow bolt movement. Anyone else have this issue, or is it just me?

Thanks for your responses...

Marv

pdog06
04-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Sometimes when switching to a different stock you will have to shorten the action screws a little.

On yours, if your wood stock does NOT have pillars in it(which older ones did not) that means that the wood is being crushed/compressed when you tighten down the action screw. After doing that multiple times eventually the screw will need shortened so it doesnt bottom out on the bolt. This is really only a temporary fix though.

A permanant fix for this would be to epoxy in a set of pillars so there is a solid metal-to-metal contact. There are many different ones available. Stockys Stocks sells the factory Savage pillars for about $10.

big honkin jeep
04-15-2011, 05:14 PM
I have used washers to act as spacers during stock swaps rather than filing the screws. This way going back is no problem.
BHJ