PDA

View Full Version : Triggers and Sears

Uncle Jack
04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Several folks make great triggers for Savage 110. I have a couple of SSS, a SAV-2 and a couple of tuned factory 3 screws. Nobody seems to pay much attention to sear/bolt stop. I would think that surface engagement between the two to be of equal importance.

Am I missing something?

uj

82boy
04-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Well you do have a point there UJ. If I remember right the new Canjar trigger comes with a sear. There is differences in the sears, The pre accu-trigger sear is different from the accu-trigger sear, and the target accu-trigger sear is different still somemore. The problem is to change the sear angle on the the sear, it takes a crafty hand, not something an armature should be doing. There is no tooling out there like the jigs used for a 1911. So to be done properly a person would have to make there own tooling, (Jig) and then re-cut the sear angle. The problem is in this sue happy world few people want to take the liability that goes along with modifying firearms sears, and trigger parts.

82boy
04-14-2011, 10:11 PM
To add, it would be nice if a company like Brownells would make a jig that would alow you to recut the sear angle on the Savage sears.

dwm
04-14-2011, 10:33 PM
If you recut the sear angle don't you end up with a soft metal sear?

You would have to surface harden or heat treat the sear to return it to the proper hardness.

Otherwise it won't last long ...

82boy
04-14-2011, 10:35 PM

You not taking that much metal off.

dcloco
04-14-2011, 11:31 PM
The new Jard trigger comes with a new sear/bolt release. Don't think this trigger can be beat with anything on the market.

82boy
04-15-2011, 09:57 AM
The new Jard trigger comes with a new sear/bolt release.

Thats right it is the Jard trigger not the Canjar trigger, I was thinking about.

thirty06
04-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Who carries the Jard trigger ? What price are we talking here?

ESSCEE
04-15-2011, 07:46 PM
GOGLE search came up with this they seem very reasonably priced $85. try this link.

http://www.jardinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=16&Itemid=38

ESSCEE

Uncle Jack
04-15-2011, 08:14 PM
To add, it would be nice if a company like Brownells would make a jig that would alow you to recut the sear angle on the Savage sears.

Not a bad idea.....it would be even better if some one like SSS would do it. They probably know more about Savage triggers than Brownells.

uj

Samdweezel05
04-15-2011, 08:39 PM

You not taking that much metal off.

So how deep does the surface hardening go on a stock savage sear?