PDA

View Full Version : Another new savage owner - intro and questions

Stockrex
04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Greetings from West Michigan,
I am grand rapids, so if you close by pls give me shout out :-)
I am new to both large cliber rifles and "gunsmithing", I have been absorbing all I can from the posts here on savage builds.
I picked up a Mark II thumbhole with heavy in .22 for my 8 year old girl and a savage 11 FCXP3 in .243 for Michigan hunting and little plinking. I need to make time to go out to a kid friendly range here in Grand Rapids,

After reading here about all the wonderful results users had with using the action from a stevens, I took I picked up a stevens 30-06 from a local retailer. I am wanting to build a .223 to punch some paper and if I am good at it then take it out to shoot some small game.

I apologize ahead for my noob questions and appreciate your patience:

1. is it ok to use a long action to build a .223? what mods, if any, do I need to make to accommodate a .223 bullet?
2. barrel - I was thinking mcgowen, small shank? 7 twist in 29 inch,
What taper should I go for?

3. Trigger, Initially I want to polish and lighten the stock trigger to learn the technique. I would like to get an aftermarket trigger, wihch one will fit the stevens action?

tammons
04-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Greetings from West Michigan,
I am grand rapids, so if you close by pls give me shout out :-)
I am new to both large cliber rifles and "gunsmithing", I have been absorbing all I can from the posts here on savage builds.
I picked up a Mark II thumbhole with heavy in .22 for my 8 year old girl and a savage 11 FCXP3 in .243 for Michigan hunting and little plinking. I need to make time to go out to a kid friendly range here in Grand Rapids,

After reading here about all the wonderful results users had with using the action from a stevens, I took I picked up a stevens 30-06 from a local retailer. I am wanting to build a .223 to punch some paper and if I am good at it then take it out to shoot some small game.

I apologize ahead for my noob questions and appreciate your patience:

1. is it ok to use a long action to build a .223? what mods, if any, do I need to make to accommodate a .223 bullet?
2. barrel - I was thinking mcgowen, small shank? 7 twist in 29 inch,
What taper should I go for?

3. Trigger, Initially I want to polish and lighten the stock trigger to learn the technique. I would like to get an aftermarket trigger, wihch one will fit the stevens action?

You need an early bolthead or one from SSS. A magazine too.

Taper is up to you. 8 twist might be better. 24-26" is more manegable.
8 twist will stabilize a 80 gr bullet and there is no benefit in ballistics with a 90 gr over an 80 gr in 223.

Midwayusa sells a Shilen 223 8 twist barrel but they are out of stock.

I would not bother with the factory trigger other than a new lighter spring. Someone here gives them away.
Just get a SSS trigger. Best one I have found.

GaCop
04-14-2011, 07:09 AM
If your 223 is going to be used for varmint or benchrest shooting, it should be a heavy barrel (.800" or more muzzle diameter) at 26". If you looking for serious accuracy, the factory stamped recoil lug needs to be replaced with a flat machined and ground one. They can be obtained from Northlander, Brownell's, Midway USA or Sharp Shooter Supply

Stockrex
04-14-2011, 11:32 AM
I got too excited when I saw a stevens 200 on the rack, I forgot all about bolt face diameter,

how difficult is it to replace the bolt face?

I will definitely order a new recoild lug (thx GaCop)

more questions:
what base will fit a stevens, is it the same one as a savage?

ellobo
04-14-2011, 08:25 PM
The Stevens actions are identicle to Savage. Anything that fits a Savage will fit a Stevens.

El Lobo