PDA

View Full Version : SSS stock with no mag well.

204shooter
04-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi all,

About to order a Dogtracker from SSS and thinking about not having a mag well cut into it. I am building a 6br on a 200 action for informal shooting with my buddies. Thinking this might make bedding a little easier. If I change my mind later I have access to a milling machine and could cut it myself.

Does anybody else do this, or am I just a little crazy? Don't think it will be any stronger just easier to install a follower into as well.

AK

Nor Cal Mikie
04-13-2011, 01:41 PM
There's a chance but not too likely that you can get one without the mag well cut. Most designs are set up on a CNC and sometimes it's kinda tough to get a small change from the normal. Won't cost you anything to ask.
IMHO, be better off to have the mag well cut in case you want to get rid of the stock. You don't have to use it, but cutting it later would be more work. I've got 3 SF mag well stocks with single shot actions installed. No problems and I can always change back.

nuclabuyer
04-13-2011, 02:56 PM
You should be able to get a SSS without a mag well. I had them inlet a mcmillan about a year ago and it doesnt have the mag area cut out. I am sure that they just modified the CNC program to not cut that area out.

GaCop
04-18-2011, 08:20 AM
I have a Stocky stock I've had for a few years and have used for a couple of builds. The latest use of the Stocky thumbhole laminate is on my 6.5X47L. It was built from the get go to be a bench rifle so I filled in the mag well with a piece of shaped pine epoxied in place. I'm using the SSS single shot follower so I bedded the stock as if I was bedding a target action. It came out nice and the rifle shoots extremely well. There are some gaps on either side of the SSS follower but I filled those in with neutral shoe polish so I wouldn't end up with a mechanical lock.