PDA

View Full Version : "HOT LOADS"

scope eye
04-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Hi just an observation like almost all words in they English language words lose there meaning after a while from overuse missuse etc, and in the world of reloading the words "HOT LOAD" has fallen to the lost meaning syndrome, let me clarify in reloading a "HOT LOAD" is when you have met that cases in particular max and are beginning to see signs of pressure and then adjust powder accordingly, me it's .5gr less after the first tell tale sign, it's not like your going to add 1gr of powder more than a mfg recipe and it goes boom that is a missconception, here is what to look for IE: slight friction from bolt early sign. sticky bolt your not pay attention. blown out primer you need a smack upside the head. and last totally deformed brass Darwin is knocking at the door, so you see there are plenty of warning signs with distinctive progressions, I am by no means advocating you doing this I am just telling you what the true definition of a HOT LOAD is, adding a grain or two to a mfg recipe "dose not make it a hot load" especially when they are low to begin with, it's the powder company and cooperate America covering there a$$.

Thanks Dean

scope eye
04-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi I would also like to add that a lighter bullet will build pressure slower and more progressive than a heavy-er bullet, they tend to spike with less warning so adding powder in smaller in-segments is wiser in heavy-er bullits of the same caliber, a good example is my 243 cal 110 savage.

bullet powder grains per hogdon my loads my findings

58 vmax varget 44gr 47gr + 3gr more than that I start to get case friction early sign

85 barnes varget 38gr 40gr + 2gr heavy-er bullet starting to "spike" signs showed up quicker

105 amax varget 33gr 34gr + 1gr spikes hard with minimal added powder OK I can take a hint

once again these are my observations you are on your own, but you can still get the dynamics of how pressure builds.
Thanks Dean