PDA

View Full Version : Will you double check my specs?

204shooter
04-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi all,

Going to call NSS in a few days and order a new barrel, but I'm new to this and want to make sure it's right.

-6BR
-Shilen stainless match select
-26"
-Small shank (using Stevens 200 .22-250, nut is 7/8" long)
-.270 neck (blue box Lapua)
-1:8 twist

Also going to call SSS and order a Dogtracker stock. If 82boy likes it, that's good enough for me.

Thanks
AK

Nor Cal Mikie
04-12-2011, 12:29 PM
What about the barrel contour? Sporter, varmint or straight pipe?
The only thing you'll have to keep in mind is with the .270 neck you'll "have" to use the newer "blue box" brass. I just measured my older Lapua loaded brass and they come out at .268 to .2685. .272 "was" the go to neck chamber size for the older brass.
Something else to consider is the throat length on your new barrel. What bullets do you plan to shoot? 50s? 110s?
Best thing is to make up a "dummy round" with the bullet you plan to shoot, seated to the shoulder neck junction and jammed into the lands. That way you'll have lots of bullet/neck contact. The throat can only get longer. And it'll get longer sooner than you might expect
You can't shoot short and long bullets in the same throat length chamber and expect to have the same amount of bullet in the case neck.
Looks like you've pretty much covered it but think hard about the throat length before you jump on ordering your barrel. You want it to "your" specs.
I ended up with a "too long" throat and couldn't shoot the shorties with much bullet/neck contact. Fine for longer/ heavier bullets. Shorties were still accurate but not enough neck contact for my liking. Build it the way "you" want it. ;)

82boy
04-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Everything looks top notch except for chamber speck. You want a bit of clearance around the round, general rule of thumb is a minimum of .002. So if a loaded round measures at 270 you want a minimum chamber speck of .272 (Unless you want to turn the necks.) Most 6mm BR Norma chambers are .272 to .273. I think the rumor that the new Lapua "Blue Box" brass has thicker necks got started by a bad lot. I have a box of "Blue Box" right here and it measures .269 with a loaded round. (Lot number p00517001) I have Norma brass (Unknown lot number.) that loaded measures at .270. The old Lapua Card board box stuff would measure at .268 -.269 depending on lot number. Most common chamber is throated for a 107 Sierra Match King. There is a slight difference between 6mm Br Remington, and 6MM BR Norma. The difference is the Norma has a longer neck. Most reamers are ground for the Norma variety.

Also going to call SSS and order a Dogtracker stock. If 82boy likes it, that's good enough for me.
AK

Now your just giving me a big head. ;) Seriously, the Dogtraker is the best benchrest stock out there. SSS has inletted them for Panda's, and many other custom actions, because guys just hounded him, Pleaded, and begged him to do it.

204shooter
04-12-2011, 01:36 PM
As far as contour, I will be going with a varmint contour.

Now onto the neck and throat. I have brass and bullets but haven't loaded any up. I measured neck thickness at about .0125 plus a .243 bullet for a .268 neck, maybe I'll load a hand full of cases and double check. I have read that the standard .272 no turn neck still works very well with the new brass so if there is any doubt I may go that route.

As far as the throat I was going to talk to Jim and tell him that I am going to shoot the heavies and have him recommend a length.

I really appreciate you guys input I thought I knew but I wanted, but it's guys like you that set greenhorns like me straight.

Thanks
AK

Nor Cal Mikie
04-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Been there, done that, ended up with a too long of a throat throat for 50s and 55s. Shot it for a while and sold it to someone that wanted to shoot 100+ bullets.
Ordered up a "short throat" to shoot 50s. Throats getting longer so now I'll go to 60s. Consider getting "two" barrels. You can't go wrong that way. ;)

Armed in Utah
04-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Been there, done that, ended up with a too long of a throat throat for 50s and 55s. Shot it for a while and sold it to someone that wanted to shoot 100+ bullets.
Ordered up a "short throat" to shoot 50s. Throats getting longer so now I'll go to 60s. Consider getting "two" barrels. You can't go wrong that way. ;)

I use the same train of thought when I build a barrel.......

frank1947
04-26-2011, 01:04 AM
you ask for .270 neck, so its not a 6mm br norma? my Shilen is .272 neck 6mm br norma I don't think Jim orders them that way if its select match varmint contour I would think its norma standard .272 blue box is good my loaded rounds are .267 I use redding bushing .265

!-8 twist I wanted to shoot the heavier bullets 107, 105, I have shot 70GR and the lightest 57 Vmax all shot well, the shilen barrel will touch lands shorter then my 6mm br from savage and the savage neck is tighter but savage would not tell me neck size they do not support reloading, but there neck is .270 from what I measure from FF cases