PDA

View Full Version : Check Out This New 338L from Savage

Balljoint
04-12-2011, 08:58 AM
For those that like BIG BORE RIFLES http://www.westernshooter.com/2011/04/savage-long-range-338-lapua-hunting-rifle-shot-show-video.html#more-1261

Balljoint
04-12-2011, 04:19 PM
No one has anything to say about this

Uncle Jack
04-12-2011, 04:25 PM
What can one say about something they have never seen?

uj

Balljoint
04-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Did anyone watch the video

HollowPoint
04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
I always seem to measure a new rifle's worth by the price being asked for it
and how accurate it is. At this point, I don't have the answer to either of these
questions about this gun.

For me, another measure of it's worth can be found by asking, "Could you build
a comparable rifle for the same or less than the price that this 338L will sell for?

If so, then you can build it to your own preferences as apposed to the factory's
preferences.

I thought about buying a Savage Long Range Hunter. In fact, one of the reasons I joined
this forum was to get some more information about them from guys who had hands-
on experience with them.

In the end I decided that eventually I'll more than likely build one out of existing factory
and aftermarket parts. I'm in no hurry so I can wait for good deals to pop up which I
hope will make the final cost alot less than buying an already built Long Hunter.

The added benefit is that I get some practical hands-on experience working with Savage
rifle components and save money as well.

HollowPoint

jc
04-12-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm really interested in this one. Thanks for the vid. I'm not sure if this is the only new 338 lapua they decided to go with this year or if they will be offering a third one also. On there facebook page they said they will be offering a new 338L with a hs precision stock and heavy fluted barrel for around $1500 MSRP. I wonder if they decided to go with this instead of the hs version?
Maybe I will get to pick between the two then put a 29" barrel in 338 lapua improved on and put it in a stock I have waiting for it. ;)

358Hammer
04-12-2011, 09:22 PM
I can buy 4 premium barrels for the price of this firarm. Sorry but I like donating to my own retirement fund and not to Savage.

Inflate the prices regardless of the company and you loose me as a customer. Profit is good and profit is right. Fleecing the flock like the oil companies are doing is just flat out wrong.

I have a full house and I am standing Pat!

Neal

Varget 7-08
04-12-2011, 09:30 PM
You may be right, but I have to disagree. The cost of business goes up, prices can't stay the same forever, they won't sell many .338s so they have to increase the price to make it an investment, and you don't know what the final cost of producing it actually is so they may have to charge a higher price. Just my opinion though.

Dave James
04-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Oh well just some thing again from them that will never be offered to us lefties,nothing else to see moving on

D.ID
04-12-2011, 11:21 PM
That is interesting and remedies most of the flaws with there other 338. It was to heavy to hunt with in Idaho and had to much tacticool novelty rails for my liking. This shows they are still progressing and when they go over the top they recognize it. I needed a big 338 savage but since there was no good option at the time I made an edge and will probably do another. I am happy to see the long target action and hope they bring this to market independently as well. Profit is what it is and the great thing about free markets.......... if you don't want to play you don't have to pay. Everyone has there priorities and they all have there cost. When there cost outweighs there value people turn away or to something else. Even if this rifle hits the market on the upper end of production guns it should still be very competitive price wise and probably more accurate than say remington's lapua and considerably more comfortable to carry than armalight's lapua. Options and competition are a good thing. Left port, right bolt, long action could be a great thing.

Harry Pope
04-13-2011, 06:40 PM
MSRP is $2,267 for the tactical version.

http://www.savagearms.com/news/article/?id=O8r5e9Lrj

tammons
04-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Nice Rifle but that price is absurd.
Needs a glove friendly safety on it.

D.ID
04-13-2011, 11:35 PM
$2267 is absurd but that is for the bat tactical dohicky, apparently those rails are expensive and annoying. I hope and expect them to do a better price for the more conventional rifle featured in the video. We will see when it hits the market. If it is comparable to the other entry level lapuas I will have to look into it. If it is 2k I 'll just build a custom.

Uncle Jack
04-13-2011, 11:58 PM
A picture of a new rifle is a lot like a picture of a woman. You can't really tell much about either or their true value until you actually get your hands on one.

uj

shamrock
04-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Roger that Uncle Jack.

sharpshooter
04-15-2011, 12:15 AM
I actually handled one at the SHOT show. The recoil nearly knocked me over just dry firing it. ;D

D.ID
04-15-2011, 07:46 PM
AMEN...... uncle jack,you said it.

Samdweezel05
04-15-2011, 08:16 PM
A picture of a new rifle is a lot like a picture of a woman. You can't really tell much about either or their true value until you actually get your hands on one.

uj

That brought a tear to my eye.

VjjR
04-15-2011, 09:13 PM
so this is the third model of a 338 LP? they were gonna do one in a HS stock i thought?