PDA

View Full Version : Savages Win!!- F Class Camp Butner, NC 600yd 2 Classes!

savageboy
10-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Thought I'd share that 2 of the classes were won yesterday with Savage Repeater Action rifles. John Skowren (Johns708 on 6mmbr.com) won the overall match w/ a 6brx Broughton 32" barrel, no nut, stockade stock and I won the F open class with my 10FP actioned T&T'd, Shilen 26.5" Sel. Match Barreled 260AI (Medalist stock, Nightforce Scope, Basix 2 trigger).

I would estimate that about 1/3 of the rifles there were Savages. Others were Customs- $4500 rifles. I have more in my scope than in my rifle!

Fjold
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Congratulations!

Is there a news release or something? I love to post stuff like this on some of the Rah-Rah Remington sites. ;D

tropicmaster
10-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Congratulations! I sure wish we had gotten home earlier Saturday night so I could have gone yesterday. I gotta get out with you for some practice so we can put a Savage two step on em next time!

savageboy
10-26-2009, 12:53 PM
It will be on the North State Shooters Club website in less than a week. I just received an e-mail late last nite posting the results. It dosen't say what our equipment was. I just know John (6brx Sav. Mod 12 action) and what he shoots. He won the "Any" Rifle catagory and I won the F Open Class. What a great way to end up my 1st year of this.
If I didn't blow the 1st relay (there were 4 relays- each relay was 2 sighters and 20 rounds for score in 22 min.= 88 rounds total on a nasty day I might add) I would have really blown it away. I was on at 1000 from the last match I shot in, guessed at how many min. I needed to come down. Needless to say with my new (to me) Nightforce, it took me my 2 sighters and 4 shots into my scoring shots to get on for the prevailing condition of the day.
As a side note, I just went to a Nightforce BR 8-32x N2DD reticle from a Bushnell Elite 30mm 4200 6-24x mildot 50mm. It totally allowed me to take my game to the next level. I have no doubt that this change alone was the key factor in taking me from about the upper middle of the pack all this year to winning. I could aim so much more precise. The Bushnell was great at what it was orig bought for- a cool tactical mildot scope. But, for serious target work, the Nightforce is unbelievable. I didn't do this build to shoot F class. I got talked into it by a friend earlier this year. So , my rig , while it is a cool tactical, long range hunting, target, varmit, deer rifle- its not a target rifle. I am fixing that this year!
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/2139882/DSC_0004.jpg[/img]]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/2139882/DSC_0004.jpg (ftp://[img width=600 height=399) 260AI with the Bushnell- I get my 20moa with the Burris Zee rings- +10 in the back -10 in the front. Works great, and protects scope

358Hammer
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Truely an awesome job guys and thank you for the post.

Neal

okbob51
10-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Congratulations and good shooting. As a Savage owner I like to read those results!

ellobo
10-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Didnt I just read that a 4 man Savage team from the Oregon-Washington area using stock Savages go over to England and clean house in the "F" class world championships? And wasnt it in the American Rifleman and why didnt anyone report it before? Isnt anyone on this forum an NRA member?

El Lobo

memilanuk
10-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Guess that settles your question about whether to do your next build on a Savage action or not? ;)

el lobo,

That 'article' was some re-gurgitated Savage marketing spin. Yes, the people on Team Savage were on the USA F/TR team... but four out of eleven shooters, not the entire team the way the article presented it. Look in the thread listing for this sub-forum, about 7-8 topics down for a more 'realistic' version. If this dang forum allowed posting of attachments, I could upload a very detailed report from the Team Captain that would be quite interesting for most. But, since they don't, I can't.

JCalhoun
10-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Monte,

Was that you in the picture holding the cool trophy?

Yes, I finally got around to reading American Rifleman today. :-\

savageboy
10-27-2009, 10:11 PM
"Guess that settles your question about whether to do your next build on a Savage action or not? "

I am staying w/ the Savage!

tiny68
10-29-2009, 08:41 PM
If this dang forum allowed posting of attachments, I could upload a very detailed report from the Team Captain that would be quite interesting for most. But, since they don't, I can't.

If you are willing to send it to me an email, I will convert it to a jpeg and posted it as a picture. That way we could read. I am curious to what you are implying. Were the customs shooting better than the SAvages?

Tim

tiny68
10-29-2009, 08:44 PM
"Guess that settles your question about whether to do your next build on a Savage action or not? "

I am staying w/ the Savage!

Just curious, with so much success with this rifle/barrel combo - why are you selling off the barrel and stock? Going full custom? What is your rational to do so? I am certainly willing to listen to the advice of others.

Tim

savageboy
10-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Tim,

I built this rifle as a "cool tactical rifle and maybe LR hunting someday" In the mean time I started shooting F class.
About 1/2 way thru the season I decided I liked it and I really wasn't set up for this game with my current rig- short varm contour bbl, light stock, mildot scope, etc. F class has a 22lb weight limit, etc so, back in May I ordered a 30" full bull barrel from NSS, long throated for the VLD tips I shoot- that barrel came in this week.
I bought a Stockade Long Range Bench Rest Stock, Night force scope, etc.
I sold my Bushnell Mildot scope as it really wasn't right for 1000yd target shooting, and am selling the B&C stock to pay for the Stockade. I just sold the barrel to pay for my new barrel that just came in. I also plan on adding whatever lead I have to to the stock to make it right at 22lbs. I will have a build that is more suited to its now intended purpose.

Winning the match last week was an unexpected and awsome way to end my season this year, as I will be hunting for the rest of the F class matches this season. I knew I was shooting good, but not good enough to win the match. I am really looking forward to winning at 1000yds not just at 600. Alot happens to the bullet in that last 400yds!

The build that I was talking to Monte about, was a 6brx that I am thinking about for the future and I asked his opinion on custom actions vs. Sav Target (as he has a 6 Dasher and competes alot- I started this year)
The results of this match are now posted on the North Sates Shooting Club's website for all to see.

memilanuk
10-30-2009, 09:53 AM
If you are willing to send it to me an email, I will convert it to a jpeg and posted it as a picture. That way we could read.

Not likely. I'm talkin' an eleven page M$ Word document with embedded pictures, etc. I don't think you're going to make a jpeg out of that ;)

I am curious to what you are implying. Were the customs shooting better than the Savages?

Hardly. I'm implying that that article does a gross disservice to the other seven people on the team. I've been contacted numerous times since it came out, and because of the 'spin' put on it almost every one of those who read it came away thinking a) the trophy that I'm holding in that picture *is* the World Championship Trophy and b) that we Team Savage were the sole members of the USA F/TR team, and/or that we 'carried' the rest of the team. Imagine how that makes them feel - they put just as much time and effort (and money) into getting ready and going over there to represent their country, and thats the thanks they get.

Dennis
10-30-2009, 10:03 AM
As a side note, I just went to a Nightforce BR 8-32x N2DD reticle

I also swapped to this scope. Makes all the difference in the world. FYI