PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Boyd's Evolution Fitment

FlightC
04-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Hello everyone for the first time. :)

I'm happy to have found such a forum as this one. Hopefully I can find answers to any questions and help out with answers for others when I can.

My first post would be about my Boyd's Evolution stock that I purchased for my Savage Mark II. When I purchased this, it was cataloged alongside the model 93, as in the stock would fit both models. While shopping prior to the purchase I noticed that it was the same elsewhere. The stock was listed to fit both models. After purchase, I tried to install it and it was a no go. What I could tell it almost looked like the stock was designed for a completely different receiver. I took it to my brother who actually had a model 93. Took the four screws out and his 93 snuggled right down in that stock, perfect fit.

After that I called the seller and they confirmed that it wasn't an error in shipping, but in fact "that stock will fit both model 93 and the mark II". Now I have it still, after return policy window not sure on what to do. Has anyone else been in this exact situation or close to it, or know of the situation and could enlighten me on it?

Many thanks guys. 8)

sharpshooter
04-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Evidently your MKII is of the new style. The new "E" receivers are slightly different, and have larger stand off post than the older models. Your stock is most probably for the old style, which would work for either of the old style models. The new "E" receiver stocks will be the same way, it will fir a MKII or a 93. Your stock can be modified to work. I'm positive that Boyd's are not up to speed on the change.

Gazza
06-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Hi, I have just purchased a Boyd's SS Evolution stock for a new Savage MKII F (E Receiver model). Prior to purchase I confirmed with Boyd's that yes, the stock is compatible with the E Receiver. (Then I found the E Receiver Vs pre E Receiver information on Boyd's website which clearly explains the difference. It appears if your rifle is a pre E Receiver model you will be required to do some woodworking on your new stock. The following is the info from Boyd's wesite.

Pre-93 E receivers can be fit to 93-E stocks. This stock will work but will require Minor fitting of your receiver to the stock as Savage shortened the overall length of the receiver on the E-model, if you have the heavy barrel option; the area of difference is in the area where the barrel and receiver meet. The receiver area on the old style receiver extends out approx. 3 more inches than new style. This area needs to be opened up using a dowel rod and sand paper.front action screw pillar is also different on MKII and oldstyle 93 please see photos. If you have the small barrel you will not have to open up receiver area. Also these stocks are cut for a metal trigger guard offered by Savage. You will need to purchase this along with the trigger guard screws for proper assembly if you do not have an inlet trigger guard on your original stock.

Hope this helps

Cheers

r29l20
06-02-2011, 11:38 AM
If the stock is unaltered, give Boyds a call, I'm sure they would swap it out for you. It can't hurt to make a phone call to ask. :)