PDA

View Full Version : Nitride the barrel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

snowgetter1
07-11-2011, 03:40 PM
I had none of those issues and went through Freedom Gun Works. They use MMI/ TrueTec. Not sure if Dtech is the same company??????

Ring31
07-11-2011, 03:57 PM
mine went to MMI...i sent it

rsbhunter
07-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Don't know about "dtec", but on the bbl i had done by MMI/Trutec, by Bobby at Freedon Gunworks....you do need to REALLY clean the bore.....alot!!!! Then i did shoot and noticed that the chamber left a scuffed apperance on the base of the casing, which did go away with tumbling...When i got home, i cleaned the bore for a long time....and took JB's bore paste and put a patch on a nylon brush, chuckeked into a cordless drill (slower than corded) and polished the chamber with it. I am waiting on a new cleaning rod, then i will JB paste the bore for 20 or so strokes and see if i get any color out of it..... Have heard that Brux nitrides there bbls and then hand laps them AGAIN after the nitriding.....whit a R70 hardness, i can't can't see it hurting anything......rsbhunter

blom
07-30-2011, 07:41 AM
rsbhunter
I'm curious where you heard Brux nitrides their barrels. I just got one from them and it looks like regular stainless to me. Also I don't see it on their web site, maybe it's a service I didn't know about.

rsbhunter
07-31-2011, 11:17 AM
i might have confused Brux with another bbl company, i apologize, I know one of the companies offer it , for like an additional $125.00, and they lap the bbl after....It's the brand that hammer358 uses (once again, i think!!!!) ring31, who do you know at MMI? I tried to send my bbl to them, and they said they would not take bbls from individuals! At all!. Not a big deal, but that was the word i got from the guy at MMI that is a benchrest shooter, or was, or whatever.... Wish we could, would save some $$$ for freight, etc...rsbhunter

Ring31
08-07-2011, 02:10 AM
these guys will be doing 2 guns for me to review
http://www.blacknitride.com/aboutus.html

im taking them in this week.. will post back when i have them

airaddict
08-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Ring31,

do you know what they charge for barrels/actions/whole guns? So we can compare their prices to others. Im considering doing a barrel. Thanks.

Brian

yorketransport
08-13-2011, 01:53 AM
I just thought I'd throw a post out to give the current price from Benchmark. I just got my 6mm BR Striker barrel from them and the nitriding cost $200. I believe this included lapping the barrel after it got back from nitriding. The total cost of the completed barrel from Benchmark, including nitriding, was $600 plus shipping and tax (since I live in WA). I won't get a chance to shoot it for another week or two, but I"ll post some results after I do.

Andrew

Ring31
08-16-2011, 02:50 PM
just got the 260 back from H&M, so far hand down better then MMI

http://blacknitride.com/index.html

PICS
http://min.us/mdyTh2V

ill right up a full review later this week...

i went on a full tour of the plant while i was there along with Chris Cerino and Iain Harrison from top shot...

we saw PALLETS of S&W ar barrels, and M&P slides, LWRC, AAC, robinson arms, and about a dozen other custom rifles and pistols makers getting processed..

ill be getting test data from them provided by S&W and LWRC saying that barrels they tested with there finish shot better after 10,000 rounds then there old "new" barrels...
at the production level, having this done is 1/2 the cost of chrome+ phosphate..

they have a full test lab for microscopic analyses and salt spray chamber at the place as well....

http://i.min.us/jeGG5P7aR.JPG (http://min.us/leGG5P7aR)

artifactr
08-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Hey Ring31, the rig looks great! Do you mind letting us know how much the guys at blacknitride (H&M??) charge so we could compare it to other options. Also, do they do single barrels? Thanks!

dcloco
08-30-2011, 11:02 PM
So close to sending a barrel in for nitriding.

Ring31
08-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Hey Ring31, the rig looks great! Do you mind letting us know how much the guys at blacknitride (H&M??) charge so we could compare it to other options. Also, do they do single barrels? Thanks!

they will do a full gun, barrel, action "or fully barreled action" and bolt, "u must remove ALL springs!" for 200$
if you have a few you want done, he will work with you to REALLY lower the cost..

im setting up a "group buy" over on M4carbine.net, and getting barrels "no actions since im taking them in, and im not a ffl" "no bolts" for 50$+shipping

artifactr
08-31-2011, 08:55 PM
That's a great price on the group buy.. can you post a link to the thread here? I would probably do that.

Ring31
09-13-2011, 02:12 PM
my full review..

https://sites.google.com/site/freeballisticcalculator/black-nitride-melonite-and-qpq

i have done 6 barrels now, and a bunch of smaller parts

snowgetter1
09-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Great info Ring

jwv
09-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Good stuff ring. I wish I would have got this done before I put 340 rounds down the tube of my 260AI criterion barrel. Well, next barrel!!!

Hatari
09-27-2011, 12:27 AM
I have the action done to our two serious hunters because the metal will in no way rust. The bolt also works like a dream when opening and closing.
Neal

Dear 358Hammer, you previously mentioned that you no longer do T&T. Yet one benifit of timing is getting the bolt to work smoothly. If only the bolt is done, and not the action, can you still get the bolt to work like dream? Thanks.

358Hammer
09-27-2011, 05:53 PM
I am going to guess yes. The reason I guess is I haven't personally done it. Yes is based upon the fact that I did an action and use untreated bolts in the action of which they are quite smooth. I also have a spring and bearing kit in the bolts so everything I use opens with one finger.
It is smooth like butter.

My favorite option is to do bolt and action with the bearing/spring_ It is as smooth on one could possibly want it.

Neal

Hatari
09-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Thank you very much for your informative advice, 358Hammer.

snowgetter1
10-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Just got my second barrel back from Freedom Gunworks for nitriding. Unlike the first barrel, a Shillen 243 wssm that had an average 150-200fps velocity increase, the criterion 243 win. had a 20-30fps velocity decrease per every load tested. I was not expecting the velocity drop at all that is for sure. It does shoot well though and the 100 gr and 105 gr loads seem to be way more consistent.
Just wondering if anyone else had this drop??????