PDA

View Full Version : Nitride the barrel

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

04-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks for doing all the leg work, keep us posted. I am looking forward to seeing for myself the results of this process against my non treated barrels.

rsbhunter
04-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Ok, recieved an answer, Bobby, the owner of Freedom Gunworks said that it would take "like a hundred" to get a price break. BUT, the good news is that it only runs $70.00 + return shipping to get a barrel done. If you figure that it costs him something to ship to the nitride place, not really a bad deal...Plus, if you call him, 229-330-GUNS...he is a great guy to talk to....Like alot of our site sponsors, he is incredibly knowledgeable about gunsmithing, and accuracy rifles in particular....I am going to use him, as the process has some tricks that can make the process easy or hard when you get it back....as far as the chamber and bore...anyway, we gave it a shot, and i still feel that the benefit far outweighs the cost....Russell

snowgetter1
04-22-2011, 08:52 AM
rsb Thanks for the effort. At $70.00 that is not bad though. I will give him a call.

04-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks for doing all the work! I would feel much better about sending my barrels in with a group so if there were problems it wouldn't be just one person vs the company. Let us know how it goes with your work, maybe I will send mine in later.

snowgetter1
04-22-2011, 07:40 PM
I called today and am going to mail 1 barrel monday. I was advised about 4 weeks for turn around.

04-22-2011, 07:48 PM
You hoping they mess up everyone's and not just yours Im hoping it is just yours

See....now you are just being mean. :D

There is strength in numbers!!!

DGD6MM
04-22-2011, 10:59 PM
MMI TRUTEC does fine work, at least they did on 6 barrels my 2 buddy's and I sent them about 6 months ago. Turn around back then was under 2 weeks. ;D

hunter2
04-23-2011, 05:07 AM
Bartlein said to fire about 200 round, clean real good, and have it done. How is everybody else going to do it? ??? Which MMI TRUTEC did you use - Joel?

04-23-2011, 06:27 AM
If I missed it, I am sorry, but who does Freedom Gunworks use for the nitride process?

Also, what exactly are the "tricks" that make the process easy or hard?

snowgetter1
04-23-2011, 12:01 PM
MMI TRUTEC

Blue Avenger
04-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Not sure of how many ways there are to Nitride, but have been warned that some leave to much coverage behind making chambers small and filling shallow rifling. Make sure you know what your getting into and you are using the right process!!

rsbhunter
04-30-2011, 12:08 PM
MMI TRUTEC is the one recommended by the benchrest shooter on the u-tube video. I am having one done now, and will report back when i get it...it is a CBI bbl that has been spiral fluted, an SSS muzzle brake installed, and Lisa @ SSS is forwarding it to Freedom Gunworks INC. to be done. I have read that the process can be less than ideal if done with out regard to the cleanup process, but if you talk with the company doing it (there are a couple good ones) and make sure to spell out what you are expecting, then you should be ok...just always be specific about what you want, and what they promise.....e-mails are the best, gives you proof of what was wanted and was promised.....saved me $2200.00 on a car once!!!!!!rsbhunter

FreedomGunworks
05-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Hello Gentleman, my name is Bobby Keigans from Freedom Gunworks. I was lead to this thread and wanted to answer a few questions or concerns some of you may be having.

Pricing - My price is the same if I send in 2 or 25 barrels, so the cost would be the same to you guys regardless of how many you send. MMI-Trutec does the SBN process for some major manufactures sending in hundreds of the same part. They are not a small job shop and their interest is in doing production oriented work.

Clean up - Your barrels need to be as clean as possible before sending them in. I suggest not firing more than 30 rounds through the barrel before sending it in. I recommend a few rounds to soften any burs from the machining process and smooth out the transition from the chamber to the bore leads. If you send in a barrel that has fire cracking or throat erosion the process could cause negative effects, radically decreased bbl life and a loss of accuracy.

Processing - MMI uses a lower grade of temperature and chemical composition specifically formulated for barrel steel. It will NOT hurt the accuracy of a properly chambered and threaded rifle barrel. Additionally, it has been shown to increase velocity and makes cleaning a fouled bbl extremely easy. There are many companies offering salt bath nitriding, that doesn't mean they have the experience necessary to process firearms components. If someone commented to Mr. Berger that they were unhappy with the results of the process, that someone should be asked WHO processed their barrel. We have nitrided barrels out there winning major benchrest and F-Class matches. I've done several personal barrels myself and am completely happy with the results (and yes, I have high standards as well)

Post-processing - It is important to thoroughly clean your barrel again before you resume shooting. I suggest using a mild abrasive such as Flitz, Iosso, or JB Bore Paste on a tight fitted patch. Lap the bore and scrub out the chamber good. Don't expect your old load to shoot the same. My experiences have shown me that a new load development will be in order.

Turn around - Turn around time takes 3-5 weeks. I send out batches every other week. There is a 3-4 day shipping time, MMI has the batch for 3-4 days, then there is a 3-4 day return shipping time to me. Add weekends in there and you'll basically burn up 3 weeks.

If you have any other questions, feel free to call me at the shop 229-330-4867. If I don't answer leave a message and I'll call you back. If you'd rather email (which is probably better) you can contact me at sales@freedomgunworks.com

rsbhunter
05-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Bobby, i am having my barrel sent direct to you after having a muzzle brake installed at SSS...Lisa said it would go out either today (Tue-5-3-2011) or tomorrow, with a tag so you know who it belongs to, as well as a note with my address.Thanks for taking the time to post that info, as there is alot of misconceptions about the process.... Am sending you an e-mail with some questions about some work i need done.....rsbhunter

SuperChuck
05-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Are there any special preparation details needed for other parts, barrel nuts, muzzle brakes, fittted parts?

Aside from getting matching finishes, are there any advantages to doing the action as well?

SC

358Hammer
05-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Are there any special preparation details needed for other parts, barrel nuts, muzzle brakes, fittted parts?

If there is bluing it must be removed. Toilet bowl cleaner works well with a fine steel wool.

I have the action done to our two serious hunters because the metal will in no way rust. The bolt also works like a dream when opening and closing.

Neal

ESSCEE
05-07-2011, 11:54 AM
This is my email trail from Bobby from Freedom gunworks about nitriding parts other than the barrel

MY QUESTION
I just read your post on savage shooters forum. Thank you for clearing up several points. My question is will you accept and will they nitride other parts ie the recoil lug, barrel nut, action, bolt body and handle etc

BOBBY'S ANSWER
recoil lugs are fine as are barrel nuts. For actions and bolts it depends on the type of action. We try to explain to our (FGW) customers that actions and bolts are done at the risk of the customer

MY FOLLOW UP QUESTION
I have a savage 110 action what is the risk?

BOBBY'S ANSWER
A Savage action should be fine, but we at Freedom Gunworks assume no responsibility in the rare occurrence that something should happen

05-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Boy, if that doesn't raise a red flag or two, I don't know what would! I don't mean with the company, just with getting an action done.

hunter2
05-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Talked to Defiance about getting their large action nitrited - no problem. Some actions are made differently ???? and they will refuse to do them. It does make you wonder.....

Ring31
05-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Boy, if that doesn't raise a red flag or two, I don't know what would! I don't mean with the company, just with getting an action done.

Rodney Lanier to me
show details May 2 (6 days ago)
Russ,

The check can be made out to Rodney Lanier. Out of hundreds of barrels processed, two actions cracked because they ran assembled. Now we don't take any chances, all barrels and actions have to be seperate and without knowing heat treat history I can't stand behind the action.