PDA

View Full Version : approximately 22 pounds?

Samdweezel05
04-06-2011, 08:14 PM
What exactly does this mean in an F-open class? Will a 22lb rifle be over weight or is 22lb the magic number?

memilanuk
04-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Sam,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

It means that 10 kilograms is the magic number. 22 pounds is an approximation for those of us still used to thinking in imperial weights, not metric. If you go look up the conversion, 10 kilograms = 22.046 226 218 lbs... or approx. 22lbs ;D

You'd be well advised to keep it at least a quarter pound under the limit unless you have a really good reason otherwise (and in F/Open, with a 22lb limit, there ain't many). Variances in different scales, adding things like mirage bands or rain shields (which people conveniently 'forget' to have with the gun when they weigh in, though they'll damn sure remember to pull the scope caps and turret covers...), etc. can put you over the limit all too easily. Depending on the configuration I've ran as close as 0.05kg (~1.8 oz) but a) I have the same scale as the guy weighing the rifles ;) and b) I weigh it the way I shoot it, period.

Monte

Samdweezel05
04-18-2011, 12:40 PM
No need to be sorry, I am in no hurry as the parts are not even here to build the rifle. You mean to tell me that people think the extra ounce from scope caps and turret caps will gain them anything in a match. I would think if you need to be worried about an extra ounce of weight to be added after being weighed, you probably need more time behind the trigger. I don't know how the weight of my build will fall so I will just have to wait and see if it will be an F/open and IBS 100/200 heavy gun or 100/200 heavy only gun. I know I will never be under 17.5lb for IBS light gun so I won't worry about that.

memilanuk
04-19-2011, 12:51 AM
No... I meant more along the lines that some folks build their guns so close to the limit that they need to remove the caps, etc. to make weight. Later, if you see them on the line and you look closely, you may find some bits n pieces that weren't on the gun (like a rain shield) when they weighed in within a gnat's a$$ of the limit. Generally, I don't think a 21.5 lb gun is going to shoot measurably better or worse than one that weighs 21 lbs 15 oz. My 12 F/TR rig runs pretty close to the edge if I use a traditional bipod (Harris w/ Pod-Paws), over if I use a Sinclair bipod, and comfortably under if I use a Cen-Shot setup.