PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Nut Fit?

uplander
04-06-2011, 04:50 PM
I've had all my parts shipped to my grandfathers house (retired gunsmith) as we are going to build my savage together. I'm building a long action with a hinged floorplate. I ordered the action brand new. I talked to him yesterday and the barrel had come in. It's a standard shank 260 from McGowan. He said he was able to screw the barrel all the way to the bolt face, but when he tried to tighten the nut, it wouldn't grab threads and he could slide it up and down the threads. I had talked to Savage and they had told me that I had a standard shank. So I'm wondering if I just received a nut for a large shank? I haven't actually seen it, but I'm guessing that is the case. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

snowgetter1
04-06-2011, 05:00 PM
You have a large shank nut. I just checked it on mine.

uplander
04-06-2011, 11:06 PM
That is what I thought. Going to get the inside dimensions of the barrel nut, but that is what my gut is telling me. I just didn't know if there was something else that I was missing since this is my first savage build.

uplander
04-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Can somebody check the inside diameter of a large shank nut or a standard shank. My grandfather measured the one that we have and it measured 1.075. The barrel measured at 1.055, which is right where it is supposed to be. The large shank barrels measure 1.120" according to sharp shooter.

pdog06
04-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Heres an easier way to figure it out, but id bet you have a large shank nut. Just measure the length of the nut. 5/8" for large shank and 7/8" for small shank.

Heres some good info with pics:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,513.0.html

bootsmcguire
04-07-2011, 10:12 PM
+1 with Pdog.

If the inside dia. of the nut is 1.075 then you have a largeshank. 1.075 would be about the minor diameter of the threads for the large shank with the 1.120 measurement being the major diameter for the threads.

lomfs24
04-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Doesn't the large shank nuts and small shank nuts look different. I thought the small shank at a bit of metal in front of the grip part of the nut. And the large shank had very little smooth metal in front of the grip part of the nut. Therefore the difference in length between small shank and large shank.

uplander
04-08-2011, 10:12 AM
It is a large shank nut....I got pictures of it last night and it is the shorter one. I called Savage and they took care of me with no problems.