PDA

View Full Version : What factory ammo to start with?

Titan_Bow
04-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I've just purchased a model 16 chambered in 270 WSM. The rifle was used, but its in like new shape. I am a complete novice to firearms, so I had a local gunsmith friend of mine go over it. He re-mounted the scope and boresighted it, and said the barrel and action and everything looked great.
So my next step is to start doing some shooting with it. I've read on various forums and review sites and each brand of ammo has responses where some people love it, some people hate it. With ammo being 30-60 dollar a box typically, what are some good starting tips or recommendations? Are there specific bullets, weights, brands to stay away from, or, vice-versa, to start with? Do Savage's in general prefer something different than say a Remington, chambered in the same round?

Thanks

trappst
04-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Savage tests those with 130g Winchester Ballistic Silvertips......they shot well in the rifle I had.

Also had great results from 140g Sierra Gamekings - reloads.

skamaniac
04-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Federal Fusion 150 gr. Also, get yourself a Limbsaver Recoil pad. Makes shooting a lot more comfortable.

sew0177
04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
You are going to get a wide range of opionis on this. I shoot mainly smaller rounds ... 223, 204 and 243 and they all really like Hornady ammo. My 243 likes the Remington Priemer which offers 270.

mopar440
04-08-2011, 12:34 PM
my brother uses win supreme 140gr nosler accubonds

MatthewUSMC8791
04-19-2011, 07:48 PM
As everyone will agree every rifle reacts different to each factory ammo.... If you want to find what shoots the best, just remember to shoot all of the same weight bullets and you'll see what yoru rifle likes best....

Also what are you expecting out of yrou rifle for accruracy???? a deer hunting or elk rifle you dont need 1 hole in the paper...

Start with Winchester Supreme and Federal premium and then Nosler Custom Match and you could also try Southwest ammo..

Run what works... trail by error...