PDA

View Full Version : Which rings?

pointer
04-06-2011, 09:03 AM
I have a Model 10 with an EABCO varmint contour barrel with a picatinny rail that I need get up and running. I'm waiting on a new Weaver tactical with a 50mm obj and was wanting to using Burris Signature rings with the inserts. Couple of questions, which height rings should I use to get the scope as low as possible?

To get a 20MOA incline on the scope, do I just need to order the +/- 0.02" inserts? I'm guessing the +.020 would go on the back end and the -0.020 would go on the front end.

Last dumb question, do Weaver style rings attach to a picatinny rail? If not, which Burris rings do I need?

Thanks in advance.

bsekf
04-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Burris High Signature Zee Rings. Yes Weaver rings fit the picatinny rail.

Bill

Cover Dog
04-06-2011, 10:37 AM
You ask....."To get a 20MOA incline on the scope, do I just need to order the +/- 0.02" inserts? I'm guessing the +.020 would go on the back end and the -0.020 would go on the front end."

You would put the -20 on the front bottom ring and the +20 on the top half of that ring. And on the rear ring you would put the +20 on the bottom and the -20 on the top of that ring. You don't put both + or - on the same ring.

For the picatinny rail you need Burris Signature ZEE rings.

boat action
04-06-2011, 05:01 PM
I just mounted a setup similar to what you are asking. I used a Weaver 20moa base and Burris Signature Zee rings with the Posi inserts. Weaver rings will fit in picatinny rails but there will be a little play because the picatinny slot is slightly larger. I tightened mine up against the forward side to account for recoil. Once the screw is locked down there is no movement.

One thing to keep in mind is the scope may not mount up perfectly centered. If that is the case then you are going to use up some of your insert movement to bring the point of impact back to center, and that will subtract from the amount of elevation you get. In two Savages, both needed major windage adjustments. I'm wondering if it is my luck or if Savage is drilling the scope base holes off.

pointer
04-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the info!!!

GaCop
04-11-2011, 06:34 AM
I save my internal windage adjustments by using windage adjustable rings. They've worked great for me. Millett adjustables are steel and will last a life time.

helotaxi
04-13-2011, 05:38 PM
I save my internal windage adjustments by using windage adjustable rings. They've worked great for me. Millett adjustables are steel and will last a life time.

And if you put in much windage you run a very good chance of damaging the scope. If you really want windage adjustable rings, use the Burris Signature version. They ensure that the scope tube doesn't get bound up.

Something to keep in mind with the Signature rings is that the offset in the bushings does not equate to certain MOA of POI shift. The POI shift induced by a particular offset is determined by the distance between the rings. The closer together the rings are, the larger the shift in POI.

A little trig and you will find that a 0.02" offset in one ring will give you a 8.6MOA POI shift with the rings 8" apart, 11.5 with 6" spacing and 17.2 with 4" spacing. To get exactly 20MOA of POI shift with a 0.02" offset in each ring, the rings should be exactly 6.875" apart (ring centers).