PDA

View Full Version : Ranging Riflescopes / Brands / feedback

Pages : [1] 2

rphguy
04-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Would like some personal usage info on the various long range scopes and preferences.
I have no experience thus far with long range scopes. I will be needing to in the somewhat near future.

Some have the built in rangefinder and "red dot" for where to aim.
Bushnell Yardage Pro...... never cared for Bushnell, but never bought their upper lines before.
Burris Eliminator............. Know nothing about Burris.
others?

Some have custom dials to dial in the crosshair for a known distance
Leupold CDS
Vortex
others?

Some have the crosshairs for different ranges
Zeiss Conquest Z-plex
Leupold
many others....

I'm looking for a low light scope.
ease of use...... the z-plex seems like a lot to remember with the range and what power is proper for the dot you use.
the eliminator and the yardage pro seem the easiest
but the CDS seems better

I'd plan to shoot no further than 500 yards in hunting situation, I feel sure, but who knows?

What are the pluses and minuses for each and what do you use yourself?

sha-ul
05-01-2011, 12:45 PM
anybody care to chime in, as I'm curious as well

geargrinder
05-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I think the best long range scopes in the bang for the buck category are.

1- Vortex FFP PST. It is FFP for any magnification holdover and you can get custom turrets calibrated for your load. Best customer service around.
2- Bushnell 4200/Elite Tactical FFP. Very durable. Decent glass. Good tracking.
3- Weaver FFP Tactical. Great glass. Solid reputation. Good tracking.

You'll also need a good LRF. I'm using the Bushnell Fusion 1600 binoculars backed up with a Swaro Laser Guide.

nuclabuyer
05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
I use the Nightforce NP-1RR seems to work real well. All you need to know is something on the target that is approx 18". They also have hash and mildot reticles. And then I have a Leupold rangefinder, pretty reliable to 800 yards.

rez187
05-03-2011, 06:22 AM
leupold cds hands down. good scopes good prices and you get two turrets for two loads examp 1 75gr for varmints and one 130 grain for big game. leupold cuts for your exact bullet and cal then dial the range on the turret. it is a good system for people not into the long range scene otherwise a good mil dot scope of any of the top tube makers is a good choice. i will say the zeiss series is easy to use also and very precise however the reticle look busy to the average shooter. so it depends on your needs but by what you said leupold cds cant miss!

rez187
05-03-2011, 06:26 AM
the burris eliminator is nice but runs on battery and murphys law says when you need it most its gonna fail! just my opinion it is a nice tube just not for me. ps the burris still has a plex reticle even if the electronics fail however now you dont have the very thing you bought it for... long range shooting. the leupold cds is all manual and easy.

airaddict
05-20-2011, 07:43 PM
i have the leupold cds. i like it a lot. my 2 dials are calibrated for 2 vastly diff loads on my 308.

first dial is for 150gr gmx bullet, 2625fps, and the adjustment goes all the way up to about 550yrds which is way more than i would ever try to shoot w that load in a hunting situation.

second is for 110gr vmax, 3175 fps, and adjustment goes up to about 700yrds. thats my summer competiton load.

now if i want to switch barrels all i have to do is buy another cds drum from leupold ($60 or so).

i like it a lot. and my first 2 dials were free last year when i bought it. ive shot at a 10" plate at 200 and 400 and the 200 is easy to hit but the 400 get tricky in the wind but the elevation is there.

rphguy
05-31-2011, 02:01 PM
thanks for the feedback, I will almost assuredly end up with the Leup VX-3L 3.5-10x50 CDS.
Likely going with this one because of the larger lens, but still able to mount lower on the rifle.

I had already planned to have this rifle/scope purchased, but Disney and a wrist surgery popped up, so later this summer I'll be getting it.

bowhunter42
06-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Just wanted to chime in and vote for the Huskema 5x20 long range hunter and the blue diamond, they both have great glass and with the BDC turret it takes the guess work out of it, all you have to do is range your target and dial it up, and the reticle is all ready set up to compensate for the wind. the LRH has 4 moa wind built into it and the blue diamond has 8 moa. they are also coming out with a 3-12x42 that also has 8moa built into it for a light weight mountain gun. I shot one back in march and I was sold on them after two shots, I now have 3 of them on my 300 win 300wsm and my girlfriend's 270. the folks at best of the west are GREAT to deal with and strive to make you a happy customer. All three guns are shooting consistant groups out to 800 yards and for the 300's beyond 800.I have seen them on TV for several years but until I actually got the chance to snuggle up behind one, they really blew me away.

Senderofan
06-13-2011, 06:20 PM
I used to own a NightForce BR scope with the NP-1RR reticle. It was fairly easy to use...and moderately accurate...but as my eyes have grown older...it became too busy. I've also attending long range shooting classes that preach the use of mildots...they work pretty well. In the end...I purchased a hand held laser rangefinder ( Swarovsky ) and now I get really accurate readings.

I've messed around with computer programs that demonstrate the Horus reticle system......this seems to be the easiest / quickest reticle system I've used in a rifle scope. The mildot works....but I find I have to range and then use the "Mil-dot Master " to figure my dope out.

Wayne

VjjR
06-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Leupold CDS
Vortex
others?

Zeiss Conquest Z-plex
Leupold

Too add to these lists...

There is custom dials available for the Zeiss scopes now and they're only $30 a turret!(half the price of Leupold CDS)

I have used The Burris balistic plex reticle and it worked for me.
The Zeiss reticle for different ranges you are referring to is the rapid-z not the Z-plex, that is the one closest to a duplex. The Leupold ranged reticles don't offer much variation compared to Zeiss

There is others to these lists however if you combine a Zeiss with a rapid-z reticles and they're new turrets by Kenton Industries you could get the best of both worlds in a scope that has better glass and light gathering abilities than a Leupold.

For ease of use all together I would go with custom dials, either Zeiss, Leupold, Huskemaw, Vortex, and Nightforce G7 and others offer these.

sniper15545
06-13-2011, 08:36 PM
You buy a leupold and tell their custom shop your fps average your sea level footage and the average temp. where your hunting the bullistic coe. of your bullet and they will make you custom turrets for around $180.00

helotaxi
06-13-2011, 10:44 PM
^^^Which is $180 wasted when you go hunting somewhere else and the reticule is now way off. Even a change in temperature will throw it way off. And heaven forbid that you decide you want the scope on a different rifle.

You're better off with something simple and practice. A simple mil-dot will get it done.

SMK Shoe
06-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Take at look at this Nikon from midway. 6-18 power with side focus for only 309$. I ran across these a couple years ago when money was tighter and gave it a try. Now almost ever rifle and most pistols I have wear this glass ( specialty pistols). great scope for the price and really good glass, even in low light

Nikon Buckmasters Rifle Scope 6-18x 40mm Side Focus Mil-Dot Reticle Matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=123107

helotaxi
06-14-2011, 10:17 PM
That same scope with a normal plex reticule was my first decent scope. Not very bright, but bright enough and the resolution is good. Lower light performance was quite good, as mentioned.

rez187
06-16-2011, 03:58 AM
helotaxi the cds turrets are set for one altitude and one temp thats true but all you need to do if you go on a hunt is shoot your zero and confirm adjustments a simple range card will allow you to check what come-ups you need to make turrets on. examp 600 yard shot turn cds to 600 check range card add three clicks up ND BINGO IM ON. its not like all you can do is shoot in one place only even the huskemaw allows for corrections. plus if you have a big trip youll know well in advance so order a turret for the area. its a good system.

helotaxi
06-16-2011, 05:21 AM
If you have to figure a different range card anyway, why spend the extra money? Seems pointless to me. Provides no benefit beyond a normal dial and a bit of doping other than to relieve you of some more money.

airaddict
06-16-2011, 07:09 AM
the cds scopes come w a generic 1/4 moa dial. u can use that dial instead of spending the money for a custom dial for a diff area you may only go to once. that way u just have to use a range card and know how many clicks for a given range.

brian

VjjR
06-16-2011, 12:50 PM
I compared a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 to a Leupold Mark4 4.5-14x50 yesterday. The Zeiss blew away the Leupold and it has a smaller tube and objective. I'm really looking forward to the new turrets offered for Zeiss. Unfortunately I just Bought a Leupold.

wrvet05
06-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Check out Horus Optics line, Leupold, Bushnell and some others are actually using their reticle systems. They just signed a contract with the marine snipers to supply them with their scopes.