PDA

View Full Version : One good scope ?

Hammer
04-03-2011, 01:23 PM

Years ago when I started my heavy use of swap (switch) barrel guns...

Part of the rationale was that I would purchase only one very high-end scope (well, maybe a few) and use it for all my work.

Also, I would have only one rifle action. Maybe only a couple of stocks -- one benchrest/varmint and one sporter stock.

Somehow it didn't work out that way and I kept accumulating more actions, stocks, scopes, etc.

Has anyone been successful actually using one (or maybe two or three) scopes for the swap barrel rifles and ended up saving money accordingly ?

pdog06
04-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Has anyone been successful actually using one (or maybe two or three) scopes for the swap barrel rifles and ended up saving money accordingly ?

Not a chance!

I just planned on doing another switch barrel build, with the intention of keeping it that way...Did not work out.

I had the 1 action and scope, 1 varmint stock and 1 factory(well, 3) sporter stock, so I ordered the 2 Mcgowen barrels with the intention being they would be the last pieces to my build(yeah right!). They were 1 in a 308 for deer season and 1 in 223 for varmint season. Since then I purchased another action off my friend cause it used to be mine and I couldnt let it go elsewhere(so i told myself..LOL). And just a couple weeks ago I bought a Vortex Viper off the same friend, just cause I now had almost 2 builds and needed a scope for the second one...

Now I want a stock so I dont have to use the factory stock...LOL.....

It never ends!

dcloco
04-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah...right.

In the past 15 months, because I have been moving...twice...and working a lot of OT...have added several scopes of the Leupold variety.

Most have not been mounted on anything yet. Good thing they all look the same...just tell the wife..."nah...that is the one I bought 6 months ago". So far, this has been working out.

CJ in WY
04-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Kinda like saying I reload to save money aint it ;)
The reational is fine but the addiction is final.....We is addicts and I like it!

k80skeet
04-03-2011, 07:31 PM
I don't do this myself but I have a friend that does it regularly with great seccuss. He has 10 rifles and has just 2 scopes and switches the between all 10 rifles and has the the number of clicks to change from one rifle to another and it works very well. He has been doing this since I met him. He has 2 Leupold Veri-X-ll 6X18 taget models with target knobs and adjustable objective front lens. He has never had any trouble with either and he is changing them 3or 4 times a week and sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. They track perfect time after time. I would think they would have worn out long before now but to Leupold's credit they work as good as the day he bought them. If he wasn't the tightest man on this earth he would have bought more scopes.