PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: MKII 22 Rimfire

zeegadget
04-02-2011, 03:05 PM
I have a blue heavy barreled MKII in a factory plastic stock which I have had for over five years or so and my brother in law just won a stainless heavy barreled MKII in a wood stock. I have had scope mounting problems

with both of these rifles. When using rings that are not adjustable I have have noticed when using a bore sighter with a grid in it you can see how far off a centered scope reticle is. My brother in laws scope can only

go 4 clicks to the left of the center of the bore scope and has more than enough clicks the other way. I had to
make special adjustments to use my scope.

My scope was a Nightforce and his was a Swift. I know there a lot of people who mount a scope and go down the the range and sight there rifle in and as long as it hits the bullseye they are satisfied but they

don't know they may be only a few clicks away from running out of adjustment. A gridded bore sighter will show you how your scope matches up with the bore.

Tom
SW Pennsylvania

MaDa
04-03-2011, 08:36 AM
I know there a lot of people who mount a scope and go down the the range and sight there rifle in and as long as it hits the bullseye they are satisfied but they

don't know they may be only a few clicks away from running out of adjustment.
Tom
SW Pennsylvania

Hey Tom,

I didn't even know a gridded bore sight was available, and my other two rifles have unfortunately been sighted in the way you mentioned, scope slapped on, bore sighted, and zero'd on paper. I don't do any adjustments once i find zero usually.

my latest savage (a 223 model 25) has these rings mounted: http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html . eliminating the need for the gridded bore sight, mount your scope, shoot at the range, and go from there, if you need the offset scope inserts, buy them,disassemble/re-assemble with offset rings and go shooting again. I think the same objective is the primary concern in keeping the scope as much on the factory zero, and the cross hairs on the point of impact. (for highest quality image, and total adjustment)

there are many people here who are really fond of them. i'm looking forward to a day without rain to head to the range and see if i need the offset inserts.

Anyways, didn't know if those would peak your interest or not. I'll be trying to find a way to re- zero my other two scopes to re mount with more sets of these burris rings/offsets.

MaDa

Cycler
04-03-2011, 10:14 AM
I have a BSA gridded bore sighter that comes with 15 barrel inserts from .17 up to .50 and an optical housing with a checkerboard style grid that your scope reticle superimposes on. This thing works quite well and sells for about $30 complete in a molded plastic case. I don't know how they do it.

To use it you clamp the optics housing to the correct insert, slide it into the muzzle and look through the scope. You will see the scope's cross hairs superimposed over the grid and adjust the scopes windage and elevation knobs to center them. At that point the scope is certainly sighted well enough to be on the paper at 25 yards and you refine the settings from there to zero the rifle. You will also know if the scope is initially so badly off center that the mounting need to be modified or you will run out of internal adjustments.

zeegadget
04-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Hey Tom,

I didn't even know a gridded bore sight was available, and my other two rifles have unfortunately been sighted in the way you mentioned, scope slapped on, bore sighted, and zero'd on paper. I don't do any adjustments once i find zero usually.

my latest savage (a 223 model 25) has these rings mounted: http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html . eliminating the need for the gridded bore sight, mount your scope, shoot at the range, and go from there, if you need the offset scope inserts, buy them,disassemble/re-assemble with offset rings and go shooting again. I think the same objective is the primary concern in keeping the scope as much on the factory zero, and the cross hairs on the point of impact. (for highest quality image, and total adjustment)

there are many people here who are really fond of them. i'm looking forward to a day without rain to head to the range and see if i need the offset inserts.

Anyways, didn't know if those would peak your interest or not. I'll be trying to find a way to re- zero my other two scopes to re mount with more sets of these burris rings/offsets.

MaDa
[/quote] I have used the Burris Rings with the off set inserts many times and like them a lot. The bore sighter I have is a Bushnell and I bought it over 40 some years ago. I have also run into some problems with
Ruger rifles and Burris no longer makes those type of rings for the Ruger. I had to go with Millett Rings that have adjustable windage but nothing for elevation.

Tom