PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: 1st time Savage owner: Need help with barrel issue on brand new MK II BTVS

jimmyp226
10-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey my issue is when i first bought the rifle i did the free float "dollar bill test" just for kicks. I have never owned a free float barrel befor so i didnt kno what to expect. When i ran it down the barrel it was fine untill i got to that "step-up" on the barrel where the barrel meets the receiver assembly about 2 or 3 inches from the recoil lug. it caught on the right side of the barrel right at that step. i looked at the rifle stright down and noticed it was leaning a little to the right eventually touching the stock where the barrel and the receiver assembly meet. BUT when i lined up the rifle like im about to shoot it looks like its straight on. i took the stock off and blew a little saw dust off the inside and screwed everything back together and it went right back to where it was off to the right. i have not shot the rifle yet so i dont know if the accuracy is affected at all but i love the thing its kick a$$ i just dont know if i have a problem or its something not to worry about. im new to the rimfire thing so all info is well come THANK YOU.

shelbyfan
10-23-2009, 11:59 PM
90% of the people who buy rifles don't give a crap about free floating as it does not matter to them, nor does it really matter.

Shoot it first and see what you think. If you are happy don't touch it, if you are an accuracy fiend ;) floating the barrel will most likely help, at most it won't hurt.

What model do you have?

Don't worry, be happy.

molokai
10-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Hi Jimmy,
I think it does matter...just my opinion. Seems odd it would ever happen, but if the torque from the screws twist the stock and make it rub unevenly on the barrel, That'd always be in my mind if I missed a shot. Free Floating a barrel is a standard in high end rifles, so how could it hurt you MKII. That's just me though, your results may vary.