PDA

View Full Version : Disassembling new-style bolt

memilanuk
03-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Got a new 10PC sitting here... my first gun with the new style bolt (cocking indicator inside the allen bolt recess on the tail) and the new bottom-mount bolt release. Figured I'd take it apart (just cuz...) and even after de-cocking the bolt, I couldn't get the big screw on the bolt tail to come loose. Double checked that I was going righty-tighty/lefty-loosey and leaned on it some more. Nada.

Is there something I'm missing here?

TIA,

Monte

Scalian
03-30-2011, 09:45 PM
If its like the old style they are very tight. To the point a lot of people say put the allen wrench in and stand on it. That's what I had to do to get mine loose the first time, it was a old style though.

5spd
03-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I clamped my old style in a vice w/wood blosk and busted it loose that way.

bootsmcguire
03-30-2011, 10:22 PM
+1 with 5spd

thirty06
03-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Put the allen wrench in, set on floor & stomp the heck out of it. It won't break.

drybean
03-30-2011, 10:41 PM
as said before step on it
drybean

memilanuk
03-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Ah, good to see I'm not the only practitioner of the 'Way of the Bigger Hammer', otherwise known as 'brute force' ;D

Found a good solid piece of red oak, clamped it in the metal-working vise and gave it a spin. First time it popped out, I though I'd bent or twisted the 1/4" allen (using one of the stubby ones from an Elkind set). Second time... it came flying out with a snap/crack that made me think I'd broken something. The bolt spun right out after that... on closer inspection I can't find anything broken, and the threads look oiled up, which makes me wonder how dang tight that thing was torqued on there to make it that hard to get apart?!?

Alls well that ends well, though ;)

Thanks,

Monte

sharpshooter
03-31-2011, 12:37 AM
At the factory they are installed with an impact wrench. Speaking of the new bolt release.....is anyone fond of this change?

memilanuk
03-31-2011, 12:39 AM
I didn't think it was really necessary before I got this gun, and after taking it apart - with the bolt release plunger continually getting in the way of accessing the rear stock bolt - I like the idea even less. One could argue it's more aesthetically pleasant, or at least more conventional looking, for whatever thats worth.

nsaqam
03-31-2011, 07:07 AM
At the factory they are installed with an impact wrench. Speaking of the new bolt release.....is anyone fond of this change?

Anything to get rid of that aesthetic abomination of a bolt release/cocking indicator on the right side of the action is welcome in my book.

Quickshot
03-31-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't have new style bolt but I did have to stomp on the allen wrench to loosen the screw. Good grief guys I wouldn't want the bolt release any other way this a Savage for my money not meant to be "purty" but to do the job, and it does. Spend lots of money for "purty" and fool around trying to make it shoot.Just my .02 Quick

nsaqam
03-31-2011, 04:38 PM
I'll take "purty" and effective every time over ugly and effective.

Especially with the price of new Savage rifles these days.

yorketransport
03-31-2011, 07:54 PM

I don't care for it. It makes removing the rear action screw a pain. Plus it changed the stock inletting and trigger guard.

Andrew