PDA

View Full Version : Benchmark vs. Criterion

Maxxwell86
03-30-2011, 05:27 PM
I am shopping for a prefit barrel for a 260 remington build. I am building for paper punching and steel shooting up to 1000+ yds (but it is a long drive to shoot past 600, so up to 600 is my main distance).

I have read hundreds of posts about NSS and their excellent products and service so I know that lot's of members love them.

On the other hand. I am only an hours drive away from the Benchmark factory here in WA.

I am aware that Criterions (NSS) are button rifled Kreiger barrels and that Benchmark double drills and taper laps their barrels and the prices are close enough to be a wash for me.

Any opinions or experiences comparing these 2 excellent brands? Any one know the difference in coal or free bore between the two chambers?

VjjR
03-31-2011, 02:50 AM
Funny... I have narrowed my preferred barrel list down to these 2 as well.

Maxxwell86
03-31-2011, 02:09 PM
I might call over to Benchmark and see if I can get a tour of the factory when I get back from vacation.

VjjR
03-31-2011, 04:57 PM
This means that Benchmark barrels are the opposite of button rifled right? the term is cut rifled?

I am aware that Criterions (NSS) are button rifled Kreiger barrels and that Benchmark double drills and taper laps their barrels and the prices are close enough to be a wash for me.

WYcoyote
03-31-2011, 05:36 PM
If I'm not mistaken Benchmark will do both, whatever you want.
Give Chris a call, 360-652-2594. They seem to have no interest in messing with a website. I can't say I blame them.
I just recieved 2 barrels from them, and although I have barely started working up some loads, ( the weather sucks lately) they look promising, and they were great people to deal with.

jglover_81
03-31-2011, 08:48 PM
I just recently picked up a benchmark 7wsm in the classifieds... so far I have shot 3 5 shot groups @ 100 yards. I'm just scratching the surface on the load development but I have to say its looking good!! All 3 groups were less than 1" and with me being the loose trigger nut I was impressed!!

Maxxwell86
03-31-2011, 11:36 PM
What barrel profiles did you buy?

I understand that you can specify length, chamber, contour, crown all at the same price at benchmark.

yorketransport
04-01-2011, 12:31 AM
I have both a Benchmark and a Criterion barrel, but in very different calibers/setups. The Benchmark is an 18" Striker barrel in 338/375 Ruger and the Criterion is a 26" 6BR. The interior and exterior finish on both barrels is extremely good, but I would say that the Benchmark's bore looks slightly better while the Criterion's exterior finish and caliber stamping is better.

I haven't shot the Criterion barrel enough to really say how well it shoots, but so far the best groups I've had are about .5" for 5 shots (The average is closer to .7"). Like I said though, it's too early to tell. I only have 60 rounds through it. The Benchmark barrel is averaging .5", but for 3 shot groups. It's worth mentioning though that the Benchmark barrel is a handgun in a large caliber with a 10x scope, while the Criterion is a heavier bench gun with a 36x scope and a much smaller caliber.

As good as the Benchmark barrel is, I think that the Criterion is by far the better value. A prefit Benchmark will run about $400 and take 8+ weeks to deliver. The Criterions are about $250 and on your front porch in about 2 weeks. In fact I ordered a second Benchmark barrel (19" 6BR) on Feb 8, a week later I ordered the 26" Criterion from NSS. I've had the Criterion for a few weeks already, but the Benchmark is still a couple of weeks out. That's something worth considering. If NSS has the barrel that you're looking for, I'd get it from him. If you want something "custom", Benchmark is certainly worth a look.

On a side note, I went with Benchmark partially because they're here in WA. I'm down in Yelm, so the drive up to Arlington is a bit more than I'd like to take, but if you're local it's worth stopping in and checking out their shop.

Andrew

Maxxwell86
04-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm glad that someone has experience with both. I haven't made up my mind yet but I certainly need the food for thought.

VjjR
04-01-2011, 01:23 PM
The barrel I got quoted from Benchmark is only $30 more than the one from Criterion... That doesn't seem right now, maybe I got under quoted???

A prefit Benchmark will run about $400 and take 8+ weeks to deliver. The Criterions are about $250 and on your front porch in about 2 weeks.

weewilly
04-01-2011, 04:38 PM
At this time forget about Criterion in two weeks. When I ordered about 7 weeks ago, Jim said he was two weeks behind just in shipping.

MDHOGGER
04-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Does Benchmark have a good selection of different chambering reamers. Thinking of a 22BR.

yorketransport
04-01-2011, 11:21 PM
The barrel I got quoted from Benchmark is only $30 more than the one from Criterion... That doesn't seem right now, maybe I got under quoted???

A prefit Benchmark will run about $400 and take 8+ weeks to deliver. The Criterions are about $250 and on your front porch in about 2 weeks.

I just checked my invoice and I paid about $550 total for the barrel including having a muzzle brake installed and timed ($150). This was just my experience, you barrel my be less expensive.

At this time forget about Criterion in two weeks. When I ordered about 7 weeks ago, Jim said he was two weeks behind just in shipping.

Perhaps mine was quicker because this barrel was one of his in stock options.

Andrew