PDA

View Full Version : 10ML/10ML-II: Full diameter bullets in Savage ML

.308 Winchester
10-23-2009, 03:26 PM
I see where some folks are talking about problems with barrel heating and saboted bullets when using smokeless powder. Can you use smokeless powder under something like a T/C Maxi Hunter bullet that uses no sabot? I'm new here and don't know much about this rifle. I've shot black powder for a couple of decades but have never used this Savage ML. Thanks.

RandyWakeman
10-23-2009, 05:28 PM
No, it is 250 - 300 grain sabots only in the Savage with smokeless. Actually, you can easily get a barrel hot enough to affect accuracy with Triple Se7en, Blackhorn 209, or other subs. None of it matters for "one shot, one kill" hunting.

Going bore size (".50 cal.") with bullets of the same weight is fail, as it gives you poor sectional density, penetration, and exterior ballistics compared to .45 caliber characteristics.

tucker301
10-23-2009, 08:10 PM
While it is in violation of the manual, many Savage ML shooters are now tinkering with knurling bullets for a tight fit, and loading smokeless, sabotless.
I've seen most reports of it to be in the .45 Pacnors, but some are also tinkering with the .50's now.

It's not something I have tried yet, but I mjst admit that the idea of doing away with 1/3 of the components and shooting a .45 in a .45 bore is beginning to eat at me just a bit. ;)

.308, shoot me a PM if you want to know more and I'll point you to the information.

Wild Bill Bucks
10-26-2009, 11:36 AM

Any powder, in any rifle, of any caliber, if shot repeatedly, will eventually cause barrel heating, and loss of accuracy. Always let the barrel cool down after every couple of shots, and this rifle will drive tacks all day. Use the recommended loads and powders, and the rifle will last you a lifetime, and will fast become your favorite.
No hunting rifle is made to shoot 50 times an hour at the range, and still produce good accuracy.
Most of the guys complaining about barrel heat, are the kind of guys that like to hear the gun go boom. Most guys who actually hunt with these rifles, have no such problems.